From:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 18:23:30 -0400

I had been looking for large batch recipes to make for our coffee
hour....I didn't relish opening enough pkgs of choco pudding to feed one
hundred!

One of the membors of the parish is a retired Navy cook and he shared
this master recipe .....It makes fifity servings.  You can cut it
easily....just do the math....and it gives some freedom for parties

VANILLA CREAM PUDDING    [serves 50 1/2 cup protions]

1 gallon milk [any type]
1 lb sugar
3/4 tbsp salt
10 oz cornstarch [or 5 oz arrowroot]
1qt water
12 eggs, slightly beaten
12 oz butter
1/4 cup vanilla

Put milk, sugar salt in a heavy pot, and heat to just below boing....DO
NOT BOIL....Combine conrstarch, water , mix until smooth [make a slurry]
and add to milk.  Cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir about
1qt of hot mixture into beggs, wisking thorougly.  Pour back into
remaining hot mixture , whiking consgtantly until mixture comes to boil
Remove from heat and add butter one tablespoon at a time and stir until
melted.  Add vanilla.  Let cool to room temp, APour into serving
container and cover. Place in refrig.

NB...Never boil mixture..It will curdle

variations...

1.Banana cream pudding,,,skuce 5 lbs banas into cooled pudding,
reserving some for decoration

2.Chocolate cream pudding..combine half a container of Hershey's coca
with cornstarch...proceed as above

3.  coconut cream....add 12 oz sweetened coconut to finished product

You can of course add other flaorings and fruit....this can also be used
as pie filling