From:
"Donald D. Kasarda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 1997 10:02:26 PDT

The heat damage referred to concerns the functional properties of the gluten
in breadmaking, but the type of damage that occurs will have no effect on
the amino acid sequences in the gluten proteins that cause problems for
celiac patients. Heat damaged wheat will remain toxic for celiac patients.
It will not, however, have good quality for making leavened products such as
yeast breads. The effect likely has to do with changes in the molecular
weight distribution of the polymeric glutenin fraction or possibly in the
degree of branching of the polymers, which incorporate gluten proteins as
monomers through intermolecular disulfide bonding.

Don Kasarda
Albany, California