From:
Kelly Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2009 12:52:20 -0500

Thank you to those that replied.  Many women stated that their symptoms were
either triggered by pregnancy or they weren’t diagnosed with Celiac until
after their pregnancy, but may or may not have noticed symptoms during.

Some have mentioned that rib / side pain sounds like an unusual symptom.
However, two people that responded did have back/side pain during pregnancy
and was later diagnosed with Celiac (however, it may or may not have been
due to Celiac).

I have received some suggestions to deal with the severe dry skin issue.  I
don’t think it DH, but could try coconut oil or taking Omega 3's (fish oil
supplement).

I have also learned from the replies that it’s not possible to be gluten
sensitive just during pregnancy.  Pregnancy may be the trigger or onset of
gluten sensitivity or Celiac and I may only notice symptoms while being
pregnant.  If it is, it’s likely that I may not be showing classic signs but
could notice significant changes to the quality of life that I wasn’t aware
was a problem. Suggestions include to have a repeat test of blood antibody
levels ( IgA, tTG and EMA.), have a stool sample tested which would be an
accurate way to test even during pregnancy, have DNA testing (HLA DQ2 and
HLA DQ8) to indicate if I carry the gene for Celiac, or just simply begin
eating a gluten free diet to see if there are positive results (even though
eating gluten free could cause for later test results to come back
negative).

At this point, I plan to try the diet.  My family has already made gluten
free changes for my son and I know how to do the diet.  Therefore, I can
self-test and see if the back pain is relieved.  Especially since I only
have 2 months of pregnancy and I’m looking for immediate results due to the
severity of my pain.  Thanks again for your help and support!
~Kelly