Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 14:31:14 -0400

After spending six months feeling horrible with the following symptoms:
extreme fatigue and lethargy (requiring me to quit all activities except my
job which was at home), increased appetite, increased GB pain, increased
abdominal pain, constipation, and severe anemia-- I had an upper GI done
which was abnormal, followed by upper endoscopy and small bowel biopsy--
"consistent with celiac" and positive titer (one not two) on my blood
studies.  I've tried to go GF and after an emergency appendectomy took care
of some of the pain in my abdomen in April I felt better for about a month.
BTW I wasn't diagnosed Celiac until the week before the appendectomy so my
GF diet didn't start until I was postop.  Now, in mid June I feel
absolutely, positively horrible again.  I'm tired all the time, I need to
sleep every couple of hours.  My ankles are slightly swollen.  My hip, knee,
ankle joints all ache.

I cannot quit "snacking" and feel the need to be eating continually.  Now
the constipation is back again.  I've gained 10 pounds.  Naturally, this has
all led to my feeling depressed.

What type of physician is the best to oversee care of a Celiac?  I don't
feel my GP has the knowledge or expertise to do so as they seem to blow off
my complaints (gotta love HMO!).  Our GI guy around here is pretty busy and
so when you get an appt with him you feel rushed.  Right now the lethargy
and joint pain are tremendous.
Anybody offer any suggestions?

Bambi