Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:43:26 -0500

6) Matzah ball substitutes. There are at least 3 brands on the market,
several have been mentioned--Lieber's, Pasketz, some from Israel and
another that I cannot remember. They all do produce a slightly different
ball but they all work--with my personal favorite being Pasketz with
lieber's a close second.

7) Noodles--the only brands I know of in the US is Flaum Appetizing
which is dried and Frankel's which is frozen. I personally prefer the
Flaum's. In the past I have seen dried noodles made by Osem and Rokeach.
There are several brands that make the noodles from matzah meal (Savion
& I think Manischevitz).

8) Frozen desserts--check them out. The same company (Tovli) that makes
the ice cream cones also makes an ice cream sandwich and ice cream
filled cones. Klein's makes a large selection of frozen dessets
including an ice cream cake.

9) Frozen meals--Besides the Meal Mart Mon Cuisine there is a selection
from Empire. I like to keep a selection in my freezer in case I have to
go into the hospital since I know they will not be able to meet my
personal dietary requirements of gf and kosher. I have found that they
store well and I am currently eating up those from last year (just be
sure you keep your freezer below 0oF).

10) Baked Desserts--there are alot of brands that are gf. Check the
ingredients to verify they are gf. The same brand can have several items
that are NOT gf (usually the honey cake seems to be one of them). This
is the time to buy several brands and taste test them immediately then
buy what you want for your freezer. Just remember these are NOT low in
fat or calories!! A favorite is macaroons which keep well on the shelf,
I have found that the flavor can change over time but the change isn't
usually bad--just different.

11) Misc frozen items--chopped liver, kiske, Schick's has a gf "pizza"
that they described to me was like a knish with tomato sauce & cheese,
blintzes from at least 3-4 different brands (usually they have cheese,
potato, fruit--I like to buy some for Shavuot for a blintz casserole),
Meal Mart has entrees like a sliced roast. Frankel's makes a knish which
is good but don't buy their waffels (this is actually the same company
that makes the Tovli products and I have found that their products are
usually excellent or awful not much in between). A brand I bought after
Passover 2003 is Spring Valley, they make soups which were excellent,
turkey chili, breaded chicken nuggets & fillets (they are made from
whole pieces of white meat and keep well. I repackaged them into
individual serving sizes and stored them in a ziplock freezer bag and
they are still excellent. I know they have more items but don't have a
current list. None of their products during the year are gf. Since they
do make items with matzah meal I did contact them to verify if the other
items would be gf. They informed me that the matza based products are
made in another room, none of the other products have any gluten & that
the only way they could be cross contaminated is when someone (which
isn't the rule) might come from the matza meal room into the other
section of the plant. But the rule is still that they remove their
gloves which is the most likely source of contamination. Keep in mind
that matza meal is heavy compared to flour and so it doesn't spread as
easily. The gentleman that is in charge of the production wanted you to
be aware of this issue since there is a slight chance of cross
contamination. Personally I will buy their products (for those that do
not know I am SEVERELY allergic to wheat and can quickly have an asthma
reaction severe enough to need to call 911 so I am careful about getting
any wheat in my diet since even the small amounts affect my asthma).

12) Misc other items--BBQ sauces, salad dressings (normal ones like
french, italian, creamy italian, fat free, etc), potato starch (I can
get 24 oz for about $1.70 and it does keep so don't worry if you still
have it from last year. I even know someone that always buys her potato
starch the year before because she believes it bakes better when it has
been aged at least a year), ice cream cones, chocolate chips, chocolate
bars, soda made with real sugar vs corn syrup (this isn't a gf issue but
if you have never tasted soda from sugar it does taste different), soup
mixes (Telma imported a new soup mix that is a low sodium chicken
consumme mix--I don't know if this is a meat or vegetarian formula or if
it is better than past low sodium mixes), potato chips, potato sticks,
etc. Most of these are items that we can get gf during the year but
these would be made without lecithin, corn syrup.