From:
Valerie Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 00:00:37 +0000

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the responses.  I appreciate the ideas and recipes!  I also
received several request to summarize this information.

We tried our first poptart recipe this morning (using the first pie crust
recipe below).  My son enjoyed helping me make them and he loved them.  He
has been eating pop tarts all day!!  I have a few suggestions of my own from
our first experience.   We used cookie cutters with simple shapes such as a
heart, a rectangle, or a flower to cut the dough.

We had three different fillings.
Blueberry - we took fresh blueberries from the freezer and smashed them with
some applesauce.
Strawberry - strawberry jam
Brown Sugar Cinnamon - I used applesauce just to make it moist and mixed in
brown sugar and also my cinnamon/sugar mixture that I use for cinnamon
toast. (This was his favorite)

Roll the pie crust out thin so that you will taste the filling and not just
crust.

Make a glaze using powdered sugar.  I mix powdered sugar with very little
water until it makes a glaze.

We even added heart shaped sprinkles left over from valentines to the heart
shaped poptarts.

Here are all the ideas that I received:

Excellent website with several other recipes that look good
http://www.geocities.com/ARNFL/recipes3.html#cookie

I have not tried this yet, but your e-mail got me thinking about those
"toasters" sold at camping stores.  Of course, this is done over a campfire,
but I wonder if they sell something that could be done in the oven.  For the
campfire version, you butter both slides of two slices of bread (GF), put
some pie filling or jam in the middle, then put it in the fire to cook.  You
end up with a golden, toasted brown treat with fruit enclosed.  This might
resemble a pop tart.

Instead of pie crust, we use Miss Roben's animal cookie mix. I divide the
dough in half and roll out two rectangles, one on a greased cookie sheet and
one between greased saran wrap.  Bake and cut up with a pizza cutter. I also
add some calcium powder to the mix to give it some nutritional value.

Instead of pie crust, why not try a roll out cookie recipe with some kind of
filling.  The cookies wouldn't crumble as much as the pie crust.

Pie Crust Recipe:

2 and 1/4 cups Bette Hagman GF flour mix
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 stick Butter-flavor solid Crisco
couple of dashes of salt
1/2 tsp xanthum gum
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg and 1 tsp vinegar in cup, fill up to one cup with ice cold water

Mix all dry ingredients.  Add Crisco, cut into pieces, use pastry blender or
fork and mix until little pieces form (like oatmeal).  Mix egg, vinegar and
water together, add about 3/4 of liquid to dry mix.  Mix well, then add a
little more liquid till mixed thoroughly.  Divide into 2 balls, wrap in
cellophane wrap and chill overnight in refrigerator.

For pie crust, roll out on floured surface.  Place in pie pan, trim edges
and flute.  If baking empty pie shell, prick the sides and bottom of crust
with a fork.
Bake 375 till done.
Sorry I don't know the exact time.  This makes a beautiful golden crust,
pretty thick and very tasty.  I have found it helpful to use Silpat or a
nonstick pad to roll out dough.  Wax paper would probably work.  Sprinkle
the counter top with water, place wax paper over that.  The water will help
keep it from sliding around.  Sprinkle the surface with GF flour, then roll
out dough.  Then I slide a cookie sheet under the whole thing and use that
to invert onto pie plate.  There is plenty to make a nice 9 inch crust.
That is how I got the idea to make poptarts, there is enough left over to
make one big one or 2 small ones.
To make poptarts without making pie crust first, just follow the same basic
directions, use a pastry wheel or knife to cut rectangles.  Don't make them
too big, they will crumble like our other GF items.  I usually make them
about half the size of the commercial ones.  They are easier to pack and
take along when they are smaller.  Place them on cookie sheet, spread with a
little bit of preserves, don't get too close to edge or it will leak.  Place
another rectangle on top, then press around the edges with the tines of
fork.  Poke a few holes across the top with a fork.  Bake at 375 till done.

POPTART crust (with bean powder)

(2 pie crusts)
1. Sift together:
1/4 tsp. salt
1+3/4 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup Bean Powder

2. Add:
3/4 cup +2 Tbs.. GFCF margarine
3. Cut margarine into flour mixture with a pastry blender until well
blended.

4. Add:
2 eggs
1tsp. red wine vinegar

5. Gradually add while mixing enough cold water to form a ball.
6. Flour(rice) a board or wax paper well.
7. Divide dough in half, form two balls Flour top of one ball and roll out
dough. (keep dusting top with flour as you roll out).
8. For POPTARTS use rectangular cookie cutter approx. size of pop tart ( we
have a gingerbread house roof cutter that's just the right size). Cut two
pieces.
9. Apply 2 Tbsp. GFCF pie filling or 100% fruit spread to one piece.
10. Place 2nd piece on top and seal the edges by running a moistened finger
around edge and lightly crimping.
11. Prick the top with a fork.
12. Bake at 350deg. on Cookie sheet for 15-20 minutes or until done.
13. When cool drizzle with 10x sugar or GFCF icing.
14. Same dough can be used for pie crust and top in normal fashion. Top
dough should roll up on rolling pin fairly easily without cracking!
Bake them and freeze with wax paper between then toast in toaster to serve..

I use the pie crust recipe from Bette Hagman's cookbook.  Donna Joe's
Vinegar Pie Crust, add some Comstock pie filling and bake

I prepared pie crust dough from Betty Hagman's book. Put a ball of dough
between saran wrap on a taco press. Voila!! Then you can fill it, fold it,
and bake. Its very good.

I'm pretty sure there is one in the Incredibly, Edible GF foods for Kids
book.

I have posted the recipe at this other excellent site:
http://login.prospero.com/dir-login/index.asp?webtag=celiac&lgnDST=http%3A%2
F%2Fforums%2Edelphiforums%2Ecom%2Fceliac%2Fmessages
For the recipe, look there:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=7387.1

Enjoy!!

Valerie Thayer