From:
Claire Pappas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 08:52:37 -0400

I just got my results back from the biopsy. They came back negative--of
course I had already been on the GF diet for almost six months. My doctor
has been very hesitant about diagnosing me with CD--in fact, he doesn't
seem to know all that much about the disease, although he was the one who
finally got me the cloesest to finding out what the heck is wrong with
me. It's amazing how all of my symptoms/past history fit and how awesome
I have been feeling since changing my diet. I walked out of his office
when he actually had the nerve to say he thought it was IBS (I've been
fighting against this diagnosis for six years!) To make a long story
short, he suggested I start adding gluten to my diet (which I would do
for six months) and then be tested again. I know this is common practice
for diagnosing Celiac, but the members of this list seem to have taken
this suggestion lightly and have actually done this to get the diagnosis.
It sure would be nice to know for certain, but this guy must be nuts if
he actually thinks I would do that to myself! When I see how great I feel
I know I couldn't possibly do this--I haven't been sick for seven months!
(What a change from being sick every single day for six years!) Doesn't
anyone feel the same? Hasn't anyone just accepted that they wouldn't be
diagnosed but stayed on the diet? I'm interested in hearing how others
felt after seeing improvement on the GF diet but getting a negative
biopsy back because they had already been on the  diet.

Claire