From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Dec 2013 14:01:43 -0500

First, thank you.  I went to Monsoon in Mt. Laurel, NJ, and I'm back at my computer having walked out as my friends arrived.  I got there early.  It was empty.  I had phoned yesterday, and they said just tell the waiter, that they do gluten-free.  Hah!  Today's host/waiter was actually from Egypt.  I talked with him.  He tried walking me through the buffet, and I could see he was guessing.  So I asked more questions and he checked with the chef.  (Or maybe, he took a potty break!)  But he came back assuring me that I could eat their Chinese style noodles.  Then came back and said, no the have soy in them...which I asked.  BUT, the key fact is they were wheat noodles.  When I got the distinct impression that all I could eat was fruit and water, I sat down and hoped for a miracle.  I was in luck. My husband had car trouble, and I needed to leave...... Wow.  A good excuse, just when I needed it.

Thanks to all who wrote.  Here's the summary.  Bottom line...regardless of the good experiences others have, I do NOT fare well at buffets.  And I will NEVER go into another Monsoon again.  And please don't beat me up if you love Indian food and love Monsoon.  This was a case of their having made promises (on the phone) that they couldn't keep, their staff having no understanding...and telling me that I could only eat very little at the buffet, but telling me I could eat what turned out to be gluten.  Never again.  Since it's a chain, I may write to them.  I don't think restaurants owe us anything except honestly.

Someone sent me a PDF from Triumph Dining on eating out Indian.  (I have their cards, but stopped carrying them a long time ago, because trouble is so rare.  It's a terrific company.)  And yet, even though I went over the sheets with the host/waiter, he obviously didn't understand. I can't forward it...PDF's as attachments can't go to the listserv.

1. I haven't eaten at onefor a few years moved But used to eat occasionaly at one with staff that was familiar with celida.  but do have the Triumph Dining card.
It says I cannot eat wheat, barley, oats or foods made from them like suji (rava) maida, roti, sevian, or  hing(asafetida) .
 also these foods in particular may contain indredients from above please check:
kofta, gravyt and saag paneer( may contain maida). In particular please make shre any masalas do not contain hing.

2. I eat Indian food all the time-and never have had a problem.  I am vegetarian as well and the options are many.  I do not believe they typically use wheat flour to thicken sauces but ask first (to state the obvious)  Good Luck!

3. I eat Indian all the time.  They use very little flour and usually only in Naan.  When they use flour, it is usually lentil.  I eat the buffet as everything is marked.  RC

4. I once walked into an Indian restaurant in Alexandria and when I saw the buffet full of little breads, I expressed with dismay "I won't be able to
eat anything here."  The proprietor overheard and after I explained my problem he beamed and said "you can have everything in the buffet!"  All the
little colorful breads were made from different kinds of lentils!  Since then, I've loved Indian food.  I've never found another restaurant that
served all those wonderful little breads (called vadas) but papadums are usually available.  Of course, you still have to ask but you'll find lots of
choices and curries are always served with rice, and tumeric is good for the brain!

5.Although Monsoon has great food, since being diagnosed (2 years ago) I have not been back to Monsoon. They do not speak English very well and as a rule I will not eat at a restaurant if I cannot communicate my gluten free needs. It is a shame as most Indian food is naturally gluten free (except, of course, anything fried in a fryer would be considered contaminated).
Sorry I can't be more helpful. I am very curious to here how it went--I live very close to Monsoon.
I do believe tandoori oven is all gluten free so anything made tandoori should be safe.

6.Both my young adult children have celiac and they both go to different Indian buffet weekly with no adverse consequences.   Both say that the Indian restaurants are particularly good with being able to show you what is gluten free.  They suggested you definitely ask which vegetables are okay - though most usually are.  My daughter also mentioned that at her Indian buffet she can ask for dosas (indian pancakes) made from rice and dal (lentil) in place of the naan.  Hope this helps.  Enjoy!!!

7. There is a seasoning used in India called Hing, that is NOT GF.& for what it is worth, I did eat at a South indian (the Tamil people) restaurant once in Phoenix and was assured all was OK, but it wasn't 2.5 hours later (my personal clock for detecting gluten ingestion - it all comes back out then, in this case, halfway home to Tucson!!). Never tracked down what the issue was, and in retrospect, I was not sure the staff really understood my issue. Live, get sick, and learn. Seems to be part of our life!
South India is nearly all naturally GF, because they use rice mostly there, and wheat is more prevalent in the north, I am told by a Tamil friend.

8.Talk them into going to Indiya or IndieBlue in Collingswood (NJ).  They label their buffet with what's gf (most items there are).
*******
*******