Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 19:01:43 -0500

HI!  It is my understanding that anything in a brown sauce in a Chinese restaurant usually has their soy sauce in it which contains wheat.  I get their vegetables in a white sauce that is thickened with corn starch; I think it is called Gow Pai or something like that.  I use my own soy sauce and eat it over steamed rice.  Works well!
****
I stopped in at my local chinese restaurant and they were familiar w/ gf cooking. I bring my own soy sauce and they fixed a meal for me anything but the obvious w wheat noodles or breaded. I really enjoyed the meal my first one out like that in 5 years
****
I have a mild case of gluten intolerance, so this may not be good advice to follow. But, I have so far had no problem eating fried rice (and I've had this with shrimp,chicken, and pork), without any special instructions to the chef.Good luck.

****
Chinese restaurants have so many hidden gluten sources that I find the only way to eat in one is 1) find one in which a waiter speaks good English, 2) the restaurant is small and able to answer questions reliably and do custom cooking (chain restaurants typically give unreliable information), and 3) Can understand what you mean by a stir-fry using only oil, salt, ginger, garlic, or other simple spices.  That's about the only safe dish in a Chinese restaurant.
Soy sauce contains wheat, and would be an ingredient of almost any Chinese sauce.  Deep fried foods are of course out in any restaurant unless the oil is guaranteed to have not been used with wheat.  Pure gluten is actually an ingredient of some Chinese dishes - looks like Tofu.  Msg is frequently used, and is often made from wheat.
In general, complex sauces and soups are out for gluten free dining, except from a both highly reliable restaurant with waiters who speak fluent English AND a cuisine that typically would not use gluten in the recipe (e.g., Indian curries, with waiter confirmation).
****
I've heard there are a lot of cross-contamination problems because they just wipe out the woks.  Also, of course, most soy sauces and most Chinese sauces in general contain gluten.  Probably one of the more hazardous of food places, but
it can be done.
****
My wife and I ate at a Chinese Restaurant last evening. I'm the celiac. I had a combination plate with beef terriyaki, pork strips and fried rice (and tea). I might be living on the edge but I had no problems with it. I was concerned about the sauce on the pork strips, but had no ill effects.