From:
Michelle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2010 15:46:20 -0700

I apologize for not stating I live in the U.S. so my question/answers are applicable to the U.S. tax filing laws.

Thank you all for your responses...in summary...

You can deduct the cost difference of the GF-free food from its counterpart (and I also believe the mileage to and from the grocery store).

Two things to take into consideration before you can do this though are:
1. The cost of the total medical deductions you are claiming (not just GF-related, but any other medical expenses you can claim) must be more than 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.

2. You should also consider whether your deductions from itemizing equals more than what you would get from the standard deduction.

Most of the responses I received indicated this was not worth it for them because because they did not exceed the 7.5% amount, and if they did, their itemized deductions were not greater than their standard deduction. I found this to be the case for our family as well. Since my husband was deployed all of last year his income was non-taxable, so for us the 7.5% would be roughly $300+ and our medical expenses do exceed $300...however our standard deduction is greater than what our itemized deductions are...so I guess saving all the receipts wasn't worth it for us as we'll be filing standard.

Michelle

*******
*******