From:
mindplay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 20:31:25 -0600

(Can't tell I'm getting caught up on email, can you?)

I discovered Jimmy Dean now has a sausage and gravy ready-made in a
container like all their uncooked sausages come in, and it's made with
rice flour. I called Jimmy Dean to check on other suspect ingredients,
and all are gluten-free (believe there was modified food starch in there
and it came from corn). This stuff is pretty good, traditionally peppery,
and quick to make. (By the way, the lady at Jimmy Dean said all their
uncooked sausages are gluten-free, while the precooked sausages are not.)

But, gee, if you're going to have country gravy and sausage you have got
to have biscuits to go with it! So I hit my Cook's Illustrated back
issues for advice, and got to work. I have a recipe I like, now, and I
hope y'all like it too.

(P.S. if anybody doesn't have my bread recipe -- the dry ingredients of
my bread recipe are what the bread mix in this recipe is made from -- you
can pull it off my web page, email me privately, or search for /R No
Rice No Corn bread in the list archives.)

Linda Blanchard
http://www2.basinlink.com/us/mindpla/main.htm
Midland TX USA

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                        Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits

Serving Size  : 16   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread

   2 1/4  cups          Linda's Bread Mix
   2      Tablespoons   buttermilk, dried
   2 1/2  teaspoons     double-acting baking powder
   1      teaspoon      sugar
     1/2  teaspoon      salt
   6      Tablespoons   cold butter -- in 1/4" squares
     2/3  cup           water

Combine all but the last two ingredients well.

In a food processor:  using the dough blade, pulse to cut butter into dry
mixture until most of it is the consistency of cracker crumbs (some pieces
should still be closer to baby pea size). Add most of the water and pulse,
adding more water as necessary just until all the dry mix is incorporated
(do not over process).

By hand:  blend the butter into the dry mixture by rubbing between your
fingertips, quickly and lightly (you want the butter to stay cold and
unsoftened). Make a well in the center of this mixture and add the water.
Mix lightly and gently, tossing and stirring until all the dry mix is
incorporated.

Set the oven to preheat at 450 degrees.

Lightly grease a cookie sheet with shortening. Scoop up a golf-ball sized
piece of dough and gently shape and pat the biscuit into a round, flatish
shape, and place it on the cookie sheet.

Turn the oven to Bake, and put the cookie sheet in the oven. Bake about
10-15 minutes until the tops are just golden brown.  Allow to cool about 2
minutes on the sheet before removing to serve, immediately, split in half
with a fork & buttered, or with gravy.

Note: You can also use this mix as a dumpling. Just let it simmer on the
top of a pot of beef stew or whatever you like.

     This recipe, like all my recipes, is copyright 1997 by Linda
     Blanchard.  I grant anyone anywhere the right to distribute
     this recipe on a one-to-one basis, or in a not-for-profit
     newsletter.  Any other use without my consent is prohibited.

NOTES : Simple and quick to make, you can make this recipe by hand or
       using a food processor. Either way it turns out a light biscuit.