From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 17:45:45 -0500

Here's a copy of the letter Giant Foods sent me. I found the
nutritionist helpful and knowledgable, but Giant doesn't
have a master list of gf products. They research each one
upon any requests. This letter covers only what products
have been researched recently (in the past year, according
to Ms. Tenney, if she's the one who talked to me).

From: GIANT FOOD INC.
CONSUMER AFFAIRS OFFICE

October 14, 1998

<snip>

Dear Ms. Proctor:

Thank you for contacting us regarding gluten in Super G products. We
can research any items about which you may have a concern. We do not
have a list because it can get outdated quickly and requires careful
checking of the items of interest. However, I can tell you about
products which have been recently checked.

We have recently checked the following Super G products: franks (both
beef and meat), mozzarella cheese (natural, not imitation), potato
salad, rice pudding, Cole slaw, all ricotta cheeses, nonfat and
lowfat yogurts, lowfat and regular sour cream, table cream, cottage
cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, fudge bars, Dreamy Tofu, vanilla
and chocolate ice cream, orange, pineapple, lemon and lime sherbet,
frozen whipped topping, paprika, creamy and chunky peanut butter,
pickle relish, rice cakes, corn twists, tortilla chips (except
Nacho), vegetable juice, frozen lemonade concentrates, chicken rice
and vegetable beef soup and clear beef broth, pork and beans, and
vegetarian beans, vanilla pudding mix - regular and instant,
Worcestershire sauce, steak sauce, pancake syrup and 15% maple syrup,
mustard, and salad dressings all of which are gluten free. The salad
dressing company did mention that they will list gluten if it is used
as a separate ingredient (in some of their branded flavors they use
this) and also to watch out for soy sauce, as you are probably
already aware.

Our catsup, pickle and mayonnaise suppliers said they could not 100%
guarantee their vinegar sources, so if you have been told by your
doctor to avoid distilled vinegars with a possible wheat base you
should not use those items. In a distilled vinegar there is not
likely to be any gluten, but some physicians may still want you to
avoid it. Our instant breakfast supplier also cannot get an absolute
guarantee from their flavor suppliers, so they cannot say for sure
that the products are totally gluten free.

Again, thank you for your interest in Super G products. If there are
any others about which you need more information please let us know.
Please remember that product ingredients do change, so it is best to
regularly check ingredient labels for changes.

Sincerely,
Janet E. Tenney MS, RD
Manager of Nutrition Programs
<end of letter>

I had asked whether their rotisserie chicken was gf in my phone call,
and she said that it had wheat starch (not flour), which some
considered gf, but which my doctor might not. This information was
not included in the letter.

Giant Food's address: Box 1804, Dept. 597
Washington, DC 20013

Phone: (Washington area) 301-341-4365
Toll-free phone: 1-888-4-MY-GIANT, ext. 4365
(1-888-469-4426, ext. 4365)
Fax: 301-618-4968

Good luck and good health!
Bobbi in Baltimore