From:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2008 06:25:17 -0700

Hi, List!

I have been reading the e-mails about PF Chang's gluten-free menu and people getting sick eating there (which I am very sorry to hear about).  I wanted to put in my two-cents worth on the subject of eating out in restaurants and restaurants that have a gluten-free menu.

  I have a PF Chang's very near to my home.  Since my diagnosis, that has become a staple restaurant for me.  I have probably either eaten there or got carryouts from them almost twice a month since.  We usually order carryout on Fridays, and the guy that takes the order and the waitress that brings us our food knows our name because we frequent there so much.  I ALWAYS specify that my food needs to be gluten free.  I NEVER eat any of the sauces, even if they bring me gluten-free soy sauce I still don't touch it.  I have never gotten sick eating there.  I have thanked the manager and told him how much I appreciate them having the gluten-free menu and what it means to people like me to be able to go out to a restaurant.   So I just wanted to let you know about positive experiences at this restaurant as well.

  I know how awful it is to go out and get sick after getting glutened, it is awful, and something I wish none of us would have to experience ever again!   But one thing I am concerned about is that we should not slam the restaurants that do or do not have gluten-free menus.  I think we need to let them know about it, of course, if they messed up, but we do need to be somewhat diplomatic in our approach.  If we bite the hand that feeds us, so to speak, then NO restaurants will ever want to offer gluten-free foods or gluten-free menus.  They simply will view us as a "nuisance" and when we call ahead, they will tell us we can't eat there.  Instead, I would like to see us working together with companies and restaurants and their staff to find a positive approach to getting gluten-free food in restaurants.

  If we make the cross-contamination seem like they need a whole separate restaurant just to prepare our food, then they will not want to have to accommodate us.  If we give them positive feedback and "help" in understanding, rather than yelling at them,  I think we can go a lot farther in this process.  I think Lin Goldkratz (forgive me if I misspelled your name, Lin) said she always asks and explains her needs with a SMILE.  That way, she gets what she needs and they are happy to provide it.  Very wise thing to do.  We all so desperately need to be able to go out to eat and be social and be "normal."  I think that one day, if we all adhere to letting these places know what we need, that we will be heard.  It's like General Mills putting Rice Chex on the market that are now gluten free.  That is huge for us!  If we buy Rice Chex a lot, their sales increase, and praise General Mills and tell them how happy we are they have done this, they may decide to do it with Corn Chex
 or even Cheerios or other mainstream cereals.  Maybe Nabisco will notice and do that for one of their products.  We will get there one day, but the path that we take to getting there is sooooooo vital in our success!

  Please don't fire back at me.  I just wanted to add this opinion to the discussion.

Denise