From:
Bob Colopy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Colopy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 06:29:19 -0500

The original post had asked if others had more information
on/reactions to possible gluten cross contamination of mushrooms
which are sometimes grown on wheat or rye straw or seeds. Most
replied that I may have an intolerance/allergy to the mushrooms
themselves since they have that problem. However, a few were
intrigued about the possibility of cross contamination as they were
not aware that mushrooms were sometimes grown on wheat seeds and
straw. Only the seeds have the gluten so the straw is not a problem
unless there are seeds in the straw and they somehow get into the
mushroom harvest collection system..

My conclusion:

Perhaps, I'm reacting to some mushrooms but not others rather than a
cross contamination issue. I like mushrooms so eat them but now I'll
focus on which types cause the reactions. If the same type of
mushrooms cause the problem sometimes but not other times then I'll
check into how they are grown to see if there might be a gluten
contamination problem. If only those farms using wheat seeds as a
substrate are the problem then I'll avoid that brand and post my findings.