From:
Bob Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:58:22 -0500

Thanks to all for your responses. I waited to summarize to ensure nothing
was overlooked.

The clear winner is Kinnikinnick. Some respondants stated "the white bread
is thin, but is great toasted." "Pizza crusts are great." "Excellent bagels
my kids love them." "Hot dog buns are good for subs." "Wonderful cake mix."

My family has never tried any Kinnikinnick products so for others like me
here is their link www.kinnikinnick.com.

Most folks are very passionate about their favorites:

Glutino Corn Bread scored high with some saying "it tastes like Wonder
Bread." Their link is www.glutino.com

Food for Life breads and EnerG Tapioca also recieved favorable reviews.
These are available at Health food Stores.

Some breads came with rave reviews from one respondant each.

This is a rave review and I am submitting it in it's entirety:

Gillian's used to be my standard bread...and I've tried everything.
Besides Gillian's, I've tried most of the kinnick kinnick, glutino,
glutano, everything from france and italy (valpiform, schar etc) ,  Mr.
Ritts (philadelphia), making my own, using mixes incl Really Great Food,
Gluten Free Pantry, Miss Roben's.    I've tried everything available
locally including all of the En-R-G products, the various rice/almond,
rice/pecan (etc) from Food for Life.

Gillians was probably the best of the lot.  But.  I found something
new.  The Millet breads from DeLand's bakery in DeLand FL.  The Millet
special (gluten free, dairy free, egg free, yeast free)  is really
really incredible.  And the cinnamon raisin apple buns?  OH MY GAWD.
I've had nothing even close to this since going Gluten free.

It's best if  you can get your health food store to order it since the
minimum order is 24 bags/loaves....I didn't have the time for that
though since I wanted the cinnamon raisin apple buns for my 3 yo in time
for Rosh Hashana (they look like small braided raisin Challahs).  24
loaves came to a total of $73 or $78 incl shipping - so it was really a
great deal.  I have the space for it (a chest freezer in the garage) so
it wasn't such a problem for me....another option for someone would be
splitting an order with a local celiac group or celiac friends...

Needs to go in the freezer right away or it will get moldy since there
are no preservatives. Everything arrived in perfect shape. Seeing the
look on my daughters face as she was eating her "challah" (the apple
cinnamon raisin buns) was priceless.  My dh didn't think it was gluten
free....because the texture was *that* good.

Dh who isn't celiac willingly eats the cinnamon raisin apple buns (loves
them), and contentedly eats sandwhiches made from the Millet special
bread (which doesn't fall apart and is lighter - texture wise - than
_any other_ GF bread I've had).

I also ordered the raisin cinnamon bread, the pizza crust/flatbreads,
the 'bagels' (which is just the regular bread shaped into a bagel, but
the hole bakes out an they don't boil them before baking, so the bagel
texture is missing....they're still good though, they make a fine
sandwhich or an excellent hamburger bun.

The Gillians are actually too rich for hamburger buns.....

Anyhoo, do try to get the DeLand's stuff if you can manage it.  My
experimentation can save you much money:)

Their phone number is 904-734-7553

Another rave review:

I read your recent post asking about white bread on the celiac list.  I
have
tried every bread out there on my eternal quest for a bread I can actually
eat as a sandwich, not toasted.  Some are better than others, but there is
one that rises above the rest. Unfortunately it is not strictly a "white
bread".  It is a cheddar cheese bread (which is fine for anything but PB &
J).  I bought it fresh where it was made, at the Panne Rizo bakery in
Vancouver, B.C., but they have told me I can mail order it.  It's not
listed
at their website, but they will do it as a special order.  They require a
$50
minimum order.  They make really good cookies too - I devoured their
chocolate chip.  One thing I would caution you about, though.  I *think*
(but
I'm not positive) that oat flour is allowed in Canada.  I would just ask
the
bakery if you are concerned about this.  They consider all their products
entirely gluten free, but when I was there they were selling some delicious
date squares that definitely had oatmeal in them.  (I ate them anyway.
When
in Canada...)

Anyway, if your daughter is open to cheese bread, and you can afford some
trial and error, you might want to give it a try.  I haven't tried their
regular white rice bread, maybe it's the same without cheese.  Their pizza
crusts were delicious too.

A third review.

FYI:  In case anyone is interested... I  posted this as I have not seen
this company mentioned and just bumped into them by accident.  "Natures
Hilights" in Chico, CA sells a Frozen Brown Rice Pizza Crust, which I
discovered in the freezer while shopping at Whole Foods a couple weeks
ago.  I noticed that they have a website today and was quite surprised to
see they are strictly a GF facility and advertise that too.

To finalize others mentioned Gillians (www.gillians.com) and Carol Fensters
Special Diet Solutions.

I shall summarize both the cake mixes and the bread mixes seperately.

Thanks to all,
Bob