From:
"P.SHATTOCK" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 May 1996 23:15:29 +0100

Last November (I think it was but I have deleted my post) I mentioned
that we were trying to develop a genuinely gluten free beer which would
be suitable for people with Coeliac Disease.

An undergraduate student has been working on this as her final year
project and produced a couple of brews prepared from Sorghum grains.

First the Good News. The beer is clear and reasonably coloured; the head
is acceptable; the alcohol content is high enough (5.1%) and it appears
to be genuinely gluten free (limited tests using 2 Dimensional
gel-electrophoresis). The odour is not too attractive.

Now the Bad News. The brews scored the lowest marks ever recorded by our
panel of regular "beer tasters". I have to agree with the "tasters". The
aftertaste was particularly "memorable" and required several pints of
regular commercial ale to dislodge from the palate.

Our "Brew Master" is not too discouraged though and has a few ideas which
he (seriously) believes will ameliorate the problem.

I would be interested to know if any other brewers out there have been
successful.

Paul Shattock