Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 23:15:44 EDT

Here is my original question:  A few days ago I posted that the  company
(Alacer Corp) tested all their flavors of Emergen-C Vitamin C Fizzing  Drink and
found that the raspberry flavor
contained wheat.

I am  concerned about cross-contamination.  I am a "silent celiac" so  I
wouldn't know a gluten containing product from a safe one.  Have any  of you
sensitive celiacs had any experience (positive or negative) from   Emergen-C?

The general response was as follows:
Most people said they have been using Emergen-C for years and enjoying the
energy boost they get without having any kind of a gluten reaction.  Here  is
the breakdown of flavors that people liked:
Tangerine 2
Tropical 1
Lemon/Lime 1
Orange 1
Cranberry 1
Many different flavors 3

As far as raspberry is concerned, 1 person has never had a negative  reaction
to raspberry.  2 people have had reactions ( 1 mild, 1 major)  possibly due
to raspberry.

1 person responded, concerned that I was posting hearsay and had not
actually talked to the company (but I actually did talk to the company)

Some excerpts of responses:

I contacted Alacer Corp after reading your post  just to express my
disappointment.  Two years ago I called to ask about  their products and they said
everything was gf.  Raspberry happened to be  the flavor I've always bought!  We
haven't experienced any ill  effects.  I questioned customer service all the
ways I could think of to  find out about cross contamination.  They said
"natural flavors" comes from  different suppliers and flavors are run on different
lines.  If this helps  to make you feel better about xcont.  I'm still trying to
decide if I  should continue with this product that I use on my children,
husband and myself  who are all gf.

Also, if you're using it to stay off colds,  Airborne is supposed to work
good.  They have said they are completely  gf.

We use and recommend EmergenC a lot and have never had any  problems.

Our doc suggests taking one each day and if you feel blah or  like you might
be coming down with something or if you are out where a lot of  other people
are sick, to take a second or third one.

Last winter neither  of us had a cold or flu so we are 'happy' consumers.
There are several  basic formula though so you might check that out in case you
have a preference  for the additional minerals or you might take one kind in
the morning and a  different in the evening.

The least expensice place we've found for  purchasing them is the Vitamin
Shoppe(either on-line, by telephone or in a  store) or at WalMart... but we find
a bigger selection at The Vitamin  Shoppe.

Hi - I wrote to the company yesterday, after reading
your post and  received the same response - that the
raspberry flavor tested positive for  wheat.

I use their other flavors with no ill effects.

If all  flavors were tested, and every flavor but
raspberry tested negative for  gluten, we are safe.
Obviously they are taking proper  precautions.