From:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:09:06 -0700

My original post concerned lectins and substitutions for potato and
corn starch in baking, and recipes or mixes for GF bread that do not
contain potato.  This is the second of three summaries related to my
original post.  Thanks to everyone who responded!

Jackie in AZ

POTATO AND CORN STARCH SUBSTITUTES
I believe that starches are used in GF baking because they are lighter
than flours and they help to make our baked goods less heavy.  I am a
little leary of substituting flour for a starch, although some folks
who emailed me have had success with it or suggested it.  Suggested
potato or corn starch alternates:

Arrowroot - substitute on a 1:1 ratio
Tapioca flour is actually starch and can be substituted on a 1:1 ratio.
Sweet rice flour (aka glutenous rice) is basically rice starch.
Gluten-free oats or oat flour (there's two locations-one in Quebec, the
other in the U.S. that sells gluten-free oats) -- you can use the oat
flour as substitute to starch.
Sorghum flour (although it is in the corn family)
Bette Hagman's books are great for discussing substitutions and
characteristics of the various flours, starches and gums.

POTATO AND CORN FREE BREAD MIXES AND BREADS
Kinnikknick Candida Yeast Free Bread mix
Bob's Red Mill  new whole grain bread mix (No - contains potato starch,
according to the website.)
  Pamela's Amazing Wheat-Free Bread Mix  (Most of her mixes contain
potato - this is the exception.)
  "Food for Life" GF Bread made with brown rice and sweetened with fruit
juice.  The number for this company is 1-800-797-5090.
Tapioca Bread, made by Ener-G is very good as a toast.

POTATO AND CORN FREE BREAD RECIPE SUGGESTIONS
Adapt Bette Hagman's Four flour bread mix recipe (from BH Bakes Bread
cookbook).

Almond flour recipe in the book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine
Gotshall.  It is sold on the website
www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info

Pick a recipe that you like and substitute starches and/or flours such
as teff (up to 20% of flour in recipe), sorghum, bean flours.

Suggestion for a modified Bob's (BRM) Wonderful Bread Mix:  Replace the
GF all-purpose flour blend & added potato flour with a "garfava" flour
(3 cups + 1 tbsp) blended with tapioca, sorghum and arrowroot flours.
(The Bob's Red Mill GF all-purpose flour blend contains garbanzo flour,
potato starch, tapioca flour, sorghum flour, and fava flour.)  Bette
Hagman says that corn starch can be replaced measure for measure with
arrowroot, thus her recipe for "four bean flour mix" could be modified
as 2 cups garfava bean flour (BRM makes this as well), 1 cup sorghum
flour, 3 cups arrowroot flour and 3 cups tapioca flour.

Bette Hagman's Tapioca Bread (from -- "The Gluten Free Gourmet" Revised
edition) The original recipe uses only rice and tapioca flour.  I
modified this recipe quite a bit and will include my modified recipe
below.  It was a hit with my daughter who thought it tasted creamy.
This recipe makes two small loaves in 41/2" by 81/2" pans - I will need
to figure out how to modify it so that it makes the larger loaf that we
prefer.

Directions:
  Add 1 Tablespoon yeast to 1.75 cups almond milk (which had been warmed
a minute in the microwave).  Set aside.
Boil 3/4 cup water and add 1 Tablespoon agar.  Stir until the agar has
mostly dissolved.

Blend dry ingredients:
2 cups rice flour
1.5 cups Tapioca flour
2.5 teaspoon xantham gum
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup total combination of psyllium fiber, Montina flour blend,
ground flax seed

To flour mixture, add:
1 teaspoon vinegar
1/4 cup oil
agar/water mixture
yeast/almond milk mixture
Additional water as needed to achieve normal bread texture - I think I
added about 1/3 cup a couple of tablespoons at a time while mixing.

Mix at high speed for 3.5 minutes.

Heat oven to 150 then turn off.

grease two 4.5" by 8.5" pans, dust with rice flour.

Spoon mix into pans.

Cover with aluminum foil (spray with oil) and place in the oven.

Remove when volume in pans has doubled -- 30 minutes to one hour

Bake at 375 for 10 minutes uncovered.  Cover with foil and bake 40 - 50
minutes.