From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 19:39:37 -0800

Part 2 - :

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Amy

I wish I had known you 2 years ago! I had my gallbladder
removed in April of 2000,
and was diagnosed with Celiac in Sept of 2001. There is no
doubt in my mind that
if anyone had even thought to run a blood test (my numbers
were in the hundreds)
that I'd still have a gallbladder today (and no scars!)
However, you can't force feed people. My mother still
doesn't buy this all the way
despite blood tests, biopsies and the fact that I was
diagnosed with Malabsorbtion
Syndrome as a baby. She told me they tested for Celiac back
then (38 years ago)
and since I tested negative, she assumes the must be
mistaken now.
Go figure!

While you have good intentions, it's obvious that they do not want your
input. You asked what I would do....I would back off and let them live their
own lives. Susan

I have had the same issue with my niece, who is so sick she cannot even go to
school. Her parents will not test her. Makes you wonder what psychological
issues
are going on. Mention the celiac, then drop it. Go take a brisk walk and do
something nice for yourself. You can't save everyone

Question about gallbladders: Do you think a GF diet would relieve her gall
bladder symptoms? Are there specific problems associated with having one's
gallbladder removed?
I ask because mine was removed when I was only eighteen - that was over 20
years ago - it never really took away the symptoms - so they told me I had
ulcers - then, ten years ago the diarrhea started..... I've been on a GF
diet for 5 months and wow - what an improvement.
How come an association was never made between gallbladder and celiac ? Do
you think if I'd gone GF when I was 18, I'd still have my gallbladder?
Just curious. ..... and a little resentlful towards the medical comunity...

What is the connection between celiac and gall bladder problems? How does
allergies play a role too? I am in the same situation as you with my
brother. You do have an obligation to speak up, no matter what
"disfunctional" people in your life (usually close family members) say in
trying to control YOUR life. They are arrogant to think they have the ONLY
way to explore (or NON-EXPLORE) other options. Good for you! Please let me
know what information you have and I will use it as I see fit. Thanks,

Good question! I'm positive my husband has cd but he won't be tested. So
far he shows no malabsorption but is married to the bathroom and has
extremely low cholesterol. For his diet, his cholesterol should be sky
high. I don't know how we can get to these people because I also know three
friends whom I highly suspect have cd. They don't want to know either! And
I've told them of the consequences of ignoring this disease.
Please share what you find out.

I'd shut up and never mention it again unless she asked. People have a
right not be harrassed by messianic celiacs, some of whom tend to see
celiac around every corner. A carpenter who has only a hammer will come to
see every problem as a nail :) -vance

Dear Susan, I read that taking the gallbladder out nowadays should be
viewed more with caution; I usually cite my sources but I read this in a
magazine at my GI doctor's office which cited Gastroenterology journal,
saying that doctors now believe that removal can put a person at risk for a
certain type of cancer. I wish I had it in front of me now. I'll see if I
can get my research doctor husband to look it up but I don't know when
since he is very busy with work and teaching right now. See what I can
do.... Laura

Not much you can do, if they are not interested in helping themselves, all
you do is beat your brain into the concrete.
It is really sad when others might be able to help someone, and that
someone is too stupid, ignorant, call it what you like to listen.
I know I have a brother and sister both who have the same syndrome that
myself and sons all have, but they will not listen, we won't worry about
it, not until something smacks up in the face.
Also my son is Celiac, with very high numbers for readings, will he listen?
No, sir, he will just continue to eat the way he always ate, and every so
often he runs against a few bad days. Not enough to make him pay attention
though and change his diet. Also he knows that I have lived with Celiac for
at least 15 known years, so he is aware of the dietary changes that need to
be made.
Just my 2 cents worth,

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
Give the information you have, show them where to find more, answer any
questions, but do NOT invest yourself in another person's choices and
ultimate outcomes. It is painful enough when we make our own mistakes and
live with the consequences. Don't try to live someone else's.

well, a gallbladder is not a crucial organ, one can live quite well without
it. You can't make another adult do what you want - and that's the truth, as
Lily Tomlin would say.

tell her to go to www.sensiblehealth.com and read it.

With all due respect, I would advise you to drop the matter. You made an
effort; it was declined. Let it go.

Good luck! I lost me gallbladder when I was 29, found out I had celiac when
I was 30 (33 now) - but the gallbladder was "dying," hardening up. My
mother lost hers the next year, I think, but she figured out the celiac for
her around the same time I did. But her gallbladder was so far gone, it was
gangrene. It may or may not be related to celiac, but neither of us would
have saved ours if we found out we were celiac when the pains got bad
enough to see a doctor. There just may be no saving it.

It is great that you try to help, I wish someone had mentioned it to me
10-15 years ago, I was desperate, and would have tried anything. You never
know who you might help... the people you talk to may not seem interested
at the time, maybe because everyone is "trying to help" them. But don't
feel bad about it! Someday, they might come across someone else that is
that way too, and odds are that they might remember what you said and
mention it to that person. I''ve noticed that with my coworkers.
Practically everyone looked at me cross-eyed when I first mentioned what I
was going through, because I saw that a coworker's child was going through
what has to be celiac - I just wanted to help. They thought I was
ridiculous, but one person thought about it months later and mentioned it
to her friend in another department, and that person found out she was
celiac and is doing great now! Now the others look cross-eyed at us both
;-). But, in the last 3 years, darn near every one of them has come back
and said that they met someone else with it, or offered the information to
someone. Most people seem like to "help" others, but not to listen to
"help"... go figure ;-) chips on shoulders? brainwashed by nutritionist
saying "eat whole wheat, it is the best thing to prevent colon cancer", GOD
only knows ;-)

on to part 3......