Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 13:21:40 -0500

Howdy,  This is the summary of great responses regarding GF vegan products
- they are from one post and one summary I made to the list entitled "How
To Go Vegan While Eating Gluten-Free" and "Gluten-free vegan "cheese" and
chili" Let me know if you need the originals. Take care. Love, Linda

==========

Does it matter what tofu we buy?  Is it all GF?  I checked your E-mail
several times but didn't see any mention of this. Thanks,

[ Note from Linda: It doesn't matter - in fact, I used one soft and one
firm just to see if it mattered...one brand was NASOYA (Vitasoy USA Inc.
San Fran. CA 1-800-EAT TOFU) and the other was HOUSE (House Foods America
Corporation 7351 Orangewood Ave. Garden Grove, CA 92841).  Both are organic
and gluten-free - the ingredients are only water, organically-grown
soybeans, and coagulants (magnesium chloride in the case of NASOYA brand
and calcium sulfate & glucono-delta-lactone (an acid) in the case of HOUSE
brand).  Both come packed in water with net weights of 16oz (NASOYA) and
14oz (HOUSE).  They are usually in the produce section and require
refrigeration.  Another tofu product I like is called ATSU-AGE (also HOUSE
brand) - it is a fried block of tofu (net weight 5oz) with ingredients
similar to "raw" tofu (water, soybeans, soybean oil, calcium sulfate &
calcium chloride).  It can be used for "tenderloin" by breading (dip in GF
flour wet with soy milk and dip in GF flour, then pan fry) and served with
mashed potatoes, corn, and GF gravy.  I also like to chop it into tiny
pieces to drop into soup or stew.  It's chewy before freezing and more so
after freezing and thawing. Most tofu is gluten-free.  Of course, you have
to read the labels and call the company if you are unsure. ]

==============

HI, What TVP do you use.  Most soy meat replacers I see in the store have
wheat in them.  If you can give me the name as well as the producer, I will
see if I can get it my area.  Many thanks,

[ Note from Linda: I read the ingredients and haven't actually found any
with gluten.  We order from the Coop and it is made by Dottley's Spice
Mart.  It looks like you can also buy "ground" beef-not from the company
below in bulk - I will have to do the math to see if it's a better deal
than the coop.  :-)

We also like the chunk "chicken-not" and "beef-not" made by Dixie Diner.
<http://www.dixiediner.com>
----------------------------------
Beef (Not!)(r)/Chicken (Not!)(r)/Turkey (Not!)(r) Meat Replacement Foods

                     ...Get your daily soy without sacrificing taste!
Use these beef-, turkey- and chicken-style products in your regular recipes -
just substitute Beef (Not!)(r), Turkey (Not!)(r) or Chicken (Not!)(r) plain
unflavored, one to one, for beef or poultry! (Just add water or broth to
reconstitute.) High in fiber! So delicious and only 1 gram of fat per 6-ounce
serving, zero cholesterol and virtually no sodium!

 * Animal Free * Dairy Free * Sugar Free * Gluten Free GF *  Kosher *
Unlike regular beef, with Beef (Not!)(r) when you have 10 pounds
reconstituted, you will get 10 pounds of actual usage. So economical, too!
With ground beef, for instance, you normally drain off 2 pounds of fat, so
the actual usage is only 8 pounds. Don't tell 'em it's not beef, because
they will never know the difference! Each 1 lb. bag (dry) makes almost 4
lbs. rehydrated! *1 pound dry = 3.92 pounds reconstituted. All items on
this page are formulated to preserve and protect isoflavones. 1/2 cup dry
ground style has 122 mg of isoflavones. Free recipes included with every
order!
-----------------------------------

This company is fast and very friendly about answering ingredient
questions.  We love their soy milk powders (one is Moo-Not and the other is
Creme-It).  I buy them in health food stores, but now that their site is up
and running, I may order by mail!  I am *thrilled* to see little "GF"
symbols by lots of stuff! ]

================

Thanks for all the information! I would like to inquire, however, as to which
product you were talking about when you listed the ingredients under the
Galaxy address. It starts with "Soy beverage etc.....". That sounds like a
milk substitute drink, but then it says that the serving is two tablespoons,
which leads me to believe it is a cheese-substitute. If so, WHICH cheese
are you or the person posting this info referring to???  Your help would be
greatly appreciated. I am having one heckuva time since I cannot have
gluten, dairy, corn, sugar or eggs. I have been trying to figure out a
vegan diet and come up against a brick wall in terms of helpful dietary
information!  Thanks in advance,

[ Note from Linda: Sorry it was so confusing - many times people ask for
the actual ingredients (a good idea rather than taking someone's word for a
product's GF status!), so I wrote what was on the Soymage Parmesan topping
package.  Yes, it's a cheese substitute.  It is grated and melts a bit (in
hot chili!) and it tastes, smells, and "feels" likes parmesan cheese.
Also, it's vegan since it has no casein, etc.  It sounds to me like they
make it by wetting TVP with soy beverage, then flavor it, then dehydrate
it.  Does that help?  I really, really like the book by Carol Fenster, PhD
called SPECIAL DIET SOLUTIONS - HEALTHY COOKING WITHOUT WHEAT, GLUTEN,
DAIRY, EGGS, YEAST, OR REFINED SUGAR (and I plan to look into her other
books too!)  The recipes are clearly marked with substitutions/alternatives
listed and her appendices are *wonderful* - full of "how-to" and "hidden
sources" lists.   :-)  The ISBN is: 1889374008. I checked out a book from
the library through interlibrary loan - it isn't completely vegetarian or
vegan (it contains meat/cheese/eggs in many recipes) and not everything in
it is *GLUTEN-FREE*.  [Note: I am looking for the title for you - I called
my library and they pulled the book I thought it was and it wasn't the
right one!!!]  I *love* everything I made out of it so far.  Interlibrary
loan is free - I will send the info to help you order the book through your
local library.  Another "best kept secret" book for
allergies/insensitivities is the book called THE ALLERGY SELF-HELP COOKBOOK
- Over 325 natural foods recipes, free of yeast, milk, eggs, corn, yeast,
SUGAR, AND OTHER COMMON FOOD ALLERGENS by Marjorie Hurt Jones, RN (ISBN:
051712002X).  Although it is not vegan/vegetarian or gluten-free, many of
the recipes are...I also don't believe completely in the idea of rotation
diets.  This book is a treasure of rare and unique recipes. :-)]

=================

Nice letter, great ideas (we've been there but went back to meat - still,
prefer to aim for "meat as a garnish", as it seems so easy to get excessive
protein, usually at the expense of veggies,carbs. I have not heard of RICE
NUTS - are they similar to grape nuts? what is in them? is there a brand
name? I use the Ozark Coop and shop at Wild Oats (an hour away), but gave
up on cereals since we tired of our homemade ricemilk and no store versions
okay (no soy for us, alas), but now that we have discovered that we are
able to reintroduce many wonderful foods, I think we may be able to make
good cereal milk (e.g. add strawberry). I used to use puffed rice and
puffed corn, but I now think that they are fiber deficient even though
"whole grain" - perhaps I am mistaken about that. We have come to really
love the Leepers corn pasta, and even though the brown rice pasta is back
in our diet, we actually prefer the corn (which used to smell and taste odd
to me!). Thanks again.

[ Note from Linda: Thanks for the positive feedback!  Yes, rice nuts are
*just* like Grape Nuts (I know since I am not the one who is GF).  I buy
them through the Ozark Coop (#20718 12/12.5 oz. boxes or #20728 10lb.).  We
always buy the big box - it's way cheaper, less trash, and the whole family
can afford to eat them.  They are crunchy, round, mottled brown & tan in
color, very slightly sweet, and last a while in soy or rice milk.  :-)
They are made my Perky Foods (you can try them at any health food store)
and the ingredients are: brown rice, raisins, and sea salt.  I agree with
you about the puffed corn, etc.  It is whole grain, yet processed...I am
currently trying to find out if it is actually "junk food" or pretty ok, or
even great.  I will let you know what I find out. I just made homemade
granola and it turned out GREAT.  I will be happy to share the recipe with
anyone interested.  Its main ingredients were puffed brown rice and puffed
millet. ]

================

Thanks for the info, Linda. I'll be interested in your findings regarding
the puffed cereals. I used to use the millet, too, but I guess CSA scared
me away from a lot of things, and in our case it was beneficial, for canola
was indeed one of the things still causing trouble even though we believed
we had gone scrupulously gluten free (we also continued with Rice Dream for
awhile, not realizing that it is processed with barley enzyme). The really
exciting thing for us right now is that we are re-introducing an
unprecedented number of foods in our diet - things we have avoided for over
ten years on Stage I of the Feingold Diet (previous diet challenges failed)
- we are finding that we can switch over toward Stage II now, and can eat
so many exciting new foods (tomato, potato, even strawberries). Not too
sure that raisins worked out, though, so will have to wait on ordering the
rice nuts (but really appreciate your info on them :-). I think my almost
13 year old's digestive system is finally maturing (he had liquid
stools until age 5, and used to get hives from everything, including all
that I grew in my own first family garden - tomato, basil, strawberry,
peppers...), and my 10 year old is really benefitting from the prescription
digestive enzymes. My husband and I feel that we have felt better, and
certainly now rarely get the cankers that used to plague us, now that our
home is pretty much gluten free. Well, I'm going on and non now - I do want
to add that I think the puffed stuff is probably at least OK if used in a
granola which supplements it with nuts, fruits, but my theory is that the
natural vit b rich bran falls off when it is puffed (I don't know if corn
has real bran, so with that it is perhaps more a matter of getting some
fiber with it). I too belive that these dietary  restrictions are a
blessing in disguise, but sometimes it really seems too limiting, and I
know that one day my boys will want/need to eat out, and that will be a
real challenge! Take Care.

=====================

Saw your summary of cheeses on the SJ list.  Tofutti has just come out with
a new cheese in American & mozzarella.  It is supposed to melt & taste more
like real cheese.  It is gluten free & dairy free (casein free too).  Comes
in slices or bar.  Grated to be available later this year.  Don't know if it
qualifies as vegan since that's unfamiliar territory for me.  I have contact
numbers somewhere, but you can e-mail them for info also.

isn't TVP not usually gf?

[ Note from Linda: not plain TVP made from soy. Of course, in a prepackaged
mix - for example, veggie taco meat - it could be added to and would be
listed on the label as TVP with parentheses listing ingredients, but not
always!  That's why I buy it plain.  I hope that clarifies things.  :-)  ]