Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 09:58:48 -0600

Hi All--

I'm wondering if I missed something posted on the list (which is entirely
possible). Lately, people are posting that brands like Kirkland at Costco
and Walmart's brand of certain foods are showing up with "Gluten Free" on
their labels. Are these foods that would ordinarily be GF, like diced
tomatoes or green beans? Secondly, if these companies are declaring GF on
the label, does that mean they have tested the food or can verify that it
doesn't contain gluten?

Since the FDA's definition/labeling proposal for gluten hasn't passed yet,
I'm suspicious of large companies declaring a food to be GF unless the food
is naturally GF anyway. Can anyone enlighten me on anything I might have
missed?  Thanks.

Cheers,
Ayn in Alabama

*******