From:
Stacy Higginbotham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stacy Higginbotham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:40:18 -0500

I posted this on my blog and I thought some might want me to share. If you
want to see it on my blog (my first gluten free post) which is mainly for
family and friends just send me an email and I will give you the link.

I have recently found some new gluten free blogs that feature many recipes.
I have been buying bread at a Whole Foods Market that is almost an hour
away. With rising gas prices I have decided to try and make my own again. I
tried my old recipe that at the time was the best one I could find. It
flattened out too much to really be worth it. Now three years later I have
found a fantastic bread recipe. I was looking for something that was a
little healthier and had some more nutrition and fiber. I looked on the Celiac
Message Board<http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=celiac&nav=start&prettyurl=%2Fceliac%2Fstart>that
I go to when I need some information and found some links to a few
blogs. At Recipezaar <http://www.recipezaar.com/190906> and Gluten Free
Mommy<http://glutenfreemommy.com/baking-gluten-free-bread-millet-oatmeal-bread/>I
found very similar recipes with rave reviews. Now to a person who can
eat
regular bread it might just taste like regular bread, but to someone who is
gluten intolerant, it TASTES LIKE REGULAR BREAD!! The texture is great and
the taste is great. But there is one really big con. It is made of SEVEN
different flours and there are many other ingredients. But I think it is
worth it to work a system to make this one on a regular basis. My usual is
to put all the dry ingredients together and make a "mix". I usually make at
least three bags of pre-measured dry ingredients but for this I will
probably make more. Then when I make them I will probably make at least two
loaves at a time.

Here's the recipe with my substitutions and I used the one at Gluten Free
Mommy<http://glutenfreemommy.com/baking-gluten-free-bread-millet-oatmeal-bread/>
:

1 cup brown rice flour

1/2 cup quinoa flour

3/4 cup millet flour

1/2 cup tapioca flour

1/3 cup cornstarch

1/3 cup sweet rice flour

1/4 cup flax seed meal

1 Tablespoon xantham gum

3 eggs

1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

1 packet active dry yeast+ 1 tsp granulated sugar for proofing yeast

1 Tablespoon honey

3 Tablespoons brown sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

4 Tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

1 1/4 cup of 120 degree water

DIRECTIONS:

All ingredients including eggs need to be at room temperature.

1. Grease and flour a 10 inch loaf pan. I only had a 9 inch pan so I also
made three muffins with the rest of the batter.

2. Combine all dry ingredients except yeast.

3. Combine all wet ingredients except water in the bowl of a stand mixer.

4. Combine yeast and one teaspoon of sugar in a small bowl.

5. Heat the water to 120 degrees. Add 1/4 cup of the heated water to the
yeast and let sit for 10 minutes. if it does not foam up after 10 minutes
then start over with the yeast.

6. When the yeast is ready slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix
together.

7. Then add the yeast and continue to mix.

8. Then slowly add the water until it gets to a stiff cake batter
consistency.

9. Beat the dough for about 10 minutes.

10. Pour batter into pan(s) and cover with wax paper and a towel. Place in a
warm place to rise for at least an hour. The dough should be to the top of
the pan.

11. Bake for about 40 minutes. The crust will be dark brown. The muffins I
took out at about 20 minutes and they were a light golden color.

12. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes then on a drying rack until cool.
I think it would be possible to make other things with this recipe like
hamburger buns. I cut it up and froze it so we shall see how it tastes as a
sandwich tomorrow.

I still had to go to Whole Foods to get two of the flours that I did not
have, but I think I will be able to order these pretty easily.

Update: The next day I did make a sandwich and it was heavenly! I will never
flours. I still had to drive to whole foods to get these flours. Does anyone
have any favorite sites to buy these at?

Stacy in Houston