From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2006 13:52:22 -0800

Is she bothered by the odor?  Does she get comments from her peers?
Is it her whole body that smells or primarily her armpits? Is she
bothered by her short stature? Someone else ( her father, an aunt or
teacher) could express gentle interest in finding the cause of her
short stature, odor (if you can bring it up directly without her
withdrawing), anemia, that they  want the best for her in life, and
this is how we take care of ourselves, by going to the doctor. Could
point out that some problems go away if you address them promptly but
become worse if not addressed promptly.

If she's not diagnosed with celiac, is she eating whatever her
friends eat when she is away from home?

If so, she might be willing to  take a good multi-vitamin. If she
already takes a multi-vitamin, she might try probiotics. Maybe she
has a bacterial imbalance in her intestines, so things aren't being
digested properly. Has she tried going casien-free for a few weeks?
If the whole family eats g-f, maybe you could swing several days c-f
as well - at home anyway. I'm assuming she will polarize if she can
tell you have an investment in dealing with the odor problem, so I'm
looking for ways to introduce possible solutions without presenting
them as targeted to address the odor.

I wonder whether she's 13 or 31. If she's really 31, it's a whole
different question.

Maybe she'd go to a doctor if she made the appointment and could get
there on her own or with a friend. You could give the doctor the
information you have by phone or letter.

Please don't take any of this personally. It is a sensitive question
and I don't mean to imply anything at all about your parenting or
approach. I don't know you, after all. I hope my ideas help.
when i was not quite perfectly gf my bo smelled like goat
cheese.  i'm sorry to be so gross, but it got much better when i was
more careful.

by the way, can't she understand that cheating on her diet puts her
at a much higher risk of getting non-hodgkins lymphoma, a very deadly
form of cancer?  maybe she doesn't know anyone whose had cancer, but
it's the most painful disease.  maybe baldness and fingernails
dropping off will be scary!

my cousin does the SAME thing, sneaking in beers with his
buddies.  that's what i told him.  who knows if he listens.  there
comes a point in our lives where we really start to value our own
selves, and that's when we decide that nothing is worth risking our health!
************************************
My husband used to drink pineapple juice and it made him smell very bad,
especially when he perspired. He stopped drinking it and the smell went
away.
*************************************
I don't know about body odor with celiac disease.  I do know that
diabetics with high blood sugar for awhile can start to break down
fat for energy and develop ketoacidosis.  Sometimes this happens to
people on low carb diets as well.  They can develop a bad smell that
is almost fruity.

Just a thought since Type 1 diabetes is autoimmune same as celiac and
they have similar genetics and 10% of TYpe 1 diabetics also have
celiac disease.  Plus it's more common in their family members.

Of course getting her to listen to you is another matter!  I have a
22 year old who is a type 1 diabetic and she doesn't want to listen
to me either.  I am celiac, diabetic, rheumatoid arthritis and
hypothroid along with sleep apnea so maybe she figures she's better
off doing something different than I have done so she doesn't end up like me!
**************************************
SOUNDS LIKE AN INFECTION  SOME WOMEN GET BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME
OF IT.
**************************************
Does she eat a lot of garlic? That'll do it.
**************************************

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimethylaminuria

People have varying degrees of ability to break down trimethylamine;  if
your DDs odor is slightly fishy, she may want to have testing done for
trimethylaminuria.  Of course, this is not the only cause of pungent body
odor.

Eating lots of garlic, onion, and curry-type spices tends to increase
pungency of body odor & breath.  If your DD is mineral-deficient, that may
contribute to her body's ability/inability to breakdown certain chemicals in
the body, and increase odor.
***********************************
Has she had this odor all her life?  Is it everyday? Is it worse when she is
sick?  Does it resemble sweaty feet?  Has she ever told her doctor?  I ask
these questions because I work for a pediatric Geneticist.  We have hundreds
of patients who have a variety of metabolic disorders, most all diagnosed
before the age of 5 yrs.  These patients have odors if there is a build up
of a metabolite in their body that their body can't break down.  Very often
associated with a high protein intake.
I have never heard of an odor associated with Celiac disease though.
*************************************
Oh my goodness.  This sounds just like my 15 yr old daughter! She was
tested due to the fact that we have 4 celiacs in the family.  It came
back negative.  She eats too much junk.  Her feet reek. I think it is
toxins oozing out. Which nutritional def. are possible?  Please,
please let me know any helpful info.
**************************************
I can't speak to the issue of cooperation from your daughter other
than "serve really delicious and nutritious food", but I suggest that
you check out
<http://www.glutensensitivity.net>www.glutensensitivity.net before
she actually agrees to testing.  Most of the tests today are not
comprehensive enough to catch most gluten sensitive patients,and is
is VERY hard to convince someone who has received a false negative
test to even think again about the diet. There is another whole
perspective that we didn't pick up on until after my 23 year old
daughter was already hurt.

Right now the only labs I know of whose tests are close to reasonably
comprehensive are Immunosciences, ( a very complete blood panel
including gliadin AND gluteomorphin antibodies, checking IgA, IgG,
and IgM for each antibody), Enterolab.com, (short panel but in stool
which is an earlier marker, and Alcat (checks the reaction of white
blood cells to the antigen and they check gluten as well as gliadin).

I discuss these tests/labs on the website particularly on the testing
page and there are charts of a number of labs and the panels they run
on that page.

Hope something helps,
Other than being supportive of her good choices, and/or helping her
to have access to the things she needs bo healthy (ie healhy foods,
healthy living environment), there is not much you can do.  It is her
life and she has to figure out how to make th best of it, all you can
do is help her find the resources she needs.