From:
Marilyn Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:38:58 -0800

My health plan's mail-order pharmacy recently sent me a three-month
supply of synthroid instead of the generic levoxyl. They stopped
carrying levoxyl, apparently, and thought they were doing me a kindness
by making the pricier substitution. I'm trying to decide if I should put
this stuff in my mouth. I'd like to be able to use it because it's
cheaper to get it through the health plan, but I'm unsure if it is
gluten free.

I called Abbott Labs, the manufacturer, and the rep said that while
Abbott tries very hard to keep their meds gluten free, they can't
guarantee it as they don't police suppliers. She said that one of her
co-workers, in fact, is a celiac and can't use Synthroid, but that most
celiacs do fine with it.

I know that this question has asked of this list before, with varying
results, so I'm posting it again to see what recent experiences people
report. Has anyone out there had a situation in which Synthroid seems to
have been responsible in any cases for a gluten reaction? Do many
celiacs take it with no ill effects?

I will, of course, post a summary.
Marilyn