From:
Jane Ehrenfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 15:59:58 -0500

I adapted this recipe from one for Broccoli Balls in the NY Times
(several weeks ago -- didn't see recipe myself but got it over the phone
from my mom).

SPINACH BALLS

1 10 oz. box froz. chopped spinach

1 T. good olive oil

1/4 c. finely chopped onion

4 mashed and chopped garlic cloves  (either put through a garlic press or
I just smashed them with the flat of a knife and chopped)

1 c. Ener-G "Stuffing" bread crumbs or other GF fine, dry bread crumbs

1/4 c. finely chopped or ground almonds (or walnuts)

1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese

1/2 tsp. *each* of oregano and basil (dried, use more if fresh)

salt & pepper to taste

2 eggs

1) Cook spinach according to package instructions.  Drain.

2) Sautee onion and garlic in olive oil.  Add drained spinach to pan to
mix with onion and garlic -- cook as needed to get rid of excess water.

3) Combine spinach and rest of ingredients in mixing bowl.

4) Form into balls or put mixture into a greased, shallow pan

5) Spray with olive oil on top (Optional:  I skipped this and they came
out fine)

6) Bake at 400 degrees (F) for 20 - 30 minutes or until brown.

7) Serve warm or at room temperature.

These came out really good.  If you make them in a pan, cut into squares
and place on plate to serve.  I haven't tried it yet, but they probably
would make great patties to serve instead of a meat entree.  Bon apetit!

Jane (in VA)