From:
Linda Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 1996 15:07:40 -0800

++ LONG POST WARNING! ++

So many people asked for a lactose/casein free version of my bread, that
I have worked one out. I have to thank those who asked, for inspiring me,
because even though I still use the buttermilk in making my own bread,
the addition of the "substitute" has improved my daily bread wonderfully!

Buttermilk serves to add tenderness, flavor, and improve the keeping
quality of the bread. The only thing I could think of that did the same
was potato. I tried potato flour, with less than happy results. Next I
tried instant mashed potato flakes, ground in my blender, and the results
were fantastic! The only problem I have encountered is that sometimes
this bread needs =more= liquid than the original recipe, sometimes less.
Because of this my advice is to start with half the water, and add more
until you get the right consistency (instructions below).

This is really a very simple recipe, despite the length of instructions
below. I make this dry mix up in bulk and freeze it to make bread-making
very convenient. I use the same mix as a base for cookies (though I have
not yet tried this with potato flakes and no dairy -- let me know how it
works if you try it).

Linda's No Rice No Corn Dairy Optional Bread

=Dry Ingredients=
1 scant cup almonds, ground
1 cup bean flour
1 cup tapioca starch/flour
1 cup potato starch (NOT flour)
1/3 cup buttermilk powder (optional)
1/3 cup instant mashed potato flakes, ground
1 Tablespoon Xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon citric acid

=Wet Ingredients=
1-1/2 cup water (more or less, start with less)
1 egg
2 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon GF vinegar

=And Don't Forget=
2 teaspoons yeast

To grind the almonds: if you have a very sturdy blender, simply pour in
almonds (whole unsalted, slivered, sliced or blanched), and let 'er rip
until the pitch steadies; you should have almonds the consistency of
cracker crumbs. (Do not use a flour mill or you'll end up with almond
paste.) If you have a less sturdy blender, coarsely chop the almonds
before putting them in the blender bowl or put them in a ziplock bag and
roll over them with a rolling pin before grinding them.

Combine dry ingredients very well (the xanthan gum needs to be well
blended into the mix to work correctly). Separately, combine wet
ingredients, starting with about 3/4 cup of water and reserving the rest.
If using a bread machine, put the dry & wet ingredients, along with the
yeast, into your bread pan in the order recommended by its manufacturer.
 Watch (or help) the blending process and see "texture note" below.

For hand-made bread, put wet ingredients into the mixer first, followed
by dry ingredients, and then the yeast. Whip very well to incorporate
air. See "texture note" below to figure how much water to add. Pour into
greased bread pan or forms and allow to rise in a barely warm, still
place until doubled in bulk. Bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees
Farenheit until crust is a light to medium brown.

Cool ten minutes in the pan, then to room temperature outside the pan
before slicing.

Texture Note: Start with about 1/2 the water called for when combining
the wet ingredients. Mix well, and then assess the texture of the dough.
It should not be as stiff as new playdough, nor as thin as pancake
batter, but somewhere in between. It should be sticky to the touch, and
be too stiff to pour. When left to rest, it should just barely heap up.

=Supply Sources=
Almonds (I use slivered whole for a whole-wheat look): healthfood bulk
bins
Bean Flour: Authentic Foods
Tapioca starch/flour and Potato Starch: Ener-G's at the local healthfood
store
Buttermilk powder: Baking or dry milk isle at the grocery store
Citric Acid: King Arthur Flour Baker's Catalog

=Variations=
Varying the kind of oil you use can change the flavor of the bread. Try
olive oil for a more Italian slant (throw in some Italian herbs if you
like); canola for its EFAs; toasted sesame oil is nice, too.

For a light rye, substitute 1/4 cup light molasses for the sugar, and
toss in a small handful of caraway seeds. For a dark rye/pumpernickle
loaf, substitute 1/4 cup dark molasses for the sugar, and add 2 teaspoons
of instant coffee and 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder, and add caraway seeds.

=A Final Note=
A recent private email in response to my post about having trouble
grinding my own bean flours mentioned using a little corn meal in this
bread as a way of both moderating the effect of the bean flours and
balancing the proteins (corn and beans together make a complete protein).
The writer said there was no difference in taste, the beans caused less
distress, and it even worked in the cookie recipes. For myself, Authentic
Foods' bean flours don't give me any trouble at all, and in fact add
welcome fiber as well as increasing the nutritional value of the bread.

   This recipe, like all my recipes, is copyright 1996-1997 by
   Linda Blanchard.  I grant anyone anywhere the right to distribute
   this recipe on a one-to-one basis, or in a not-for-profit
   newsletter.  Any other use without my consent is prohibited.

Enjoy!
--
Linda Blanchard
http://www2.basinlink.com/us/mindpla/main.htm  <==celiacs and sf