From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2006 13:58:22 -0800

I have had bad body odor (partly because I cannot use regular
deodorants and the natural stuff just doesn't cut it for me).  I have
found body odor has everything to due with gut buggies and bad
lymphatic export of toxins from your body.  I have taken to soaking
in epsom salts (which helps draw out toxins) and switch off with a
cider vinegar soak every now and again to restore acid balance.  Diet
and nutrition have helped me with this too.  I really can notice a
difference if I cheat on my anti-candida diet and have anything with
sugar in it.  (I don't ever cheat with glutens, but it would be the
same--glutens feed fungi and bacteria.)

Don't know if your daughter will find this info agreeable if she is
not interested in staying gf.  I find that sugar-free is much harder
for me to stick to than the gf diet.
**************************************
My son smells weird when he's had gluten. He's 18, GF for three
years, but I recognize the smell from when he was younger (along with
other symptoms too) when we couldn't figure out what was wrong with him.
**************************************
Well let's think of a couple things that are true of celiacs --
failure to absorb fat soluble vitamins (A,E,D,K)
failure to properly absorb minerals (calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, others)
usually need a good probiotic blend (in other words lack of GOOD bacteria in
the gut)
BO is too much bad bacterial on the skin which is a continuation of the
mucus membrane; perhaps the chemistry is off and they can't keep the good
germs alive.
The celiac mother in law, husband and daughter (and my father who probably
is) all have BO problems.  The only deodorant that works for my husband and
daughter is one of those mineral sticks from the health foodstore.  They
have no aluminum chlorohydrate but when you wet the stick, the minerals on
the surface slightly dissolve and leave a thin coating on the underarm, the
minerals being unhospitable to bacteria.  You could try giving her one of
these.
If she does not care about odor, or taking care of herself, she may have an
emotional or mental problem brought on by her celiac and/or nutritional
problems.  You probably should consider this.  Is there anybody close to her
(a guy she wants to impress who loves her), or a child she is responsible
for who could be a motivator to deal with the health issues.
My celiac friend who diagnosed our daughter had food allergy tests done by
York Labs with benefit.
Consider checking the internet under "body odor causes" in google or
something similar.
Good luck
************************************
Another situation to consider is that the sweat glands are a major
detoxification organ of the body. As a naturopath, I would also consider the
function (or decrease of functioning) in detoxification systems of the
body-- requiring an increase in detox through the skin--- which may smell
unpleasant. Detoxification systems of the body all require nutrients that
many Americans are deficient in, selenium for one. People who are consuming
adequate detoxification nutrients and treating their bodies well by putting
in less which require detoxification rarely have unpleasant body odor. If
your daughter is also eating gluten and trying to tune out your
health-minded advice, it is likely that there are multiple reasons for this
situation beyond this one obvious thought... Good luck mama, hang in there!
***************************************
I really don't have any suggestions for you.  I can't imagine what
you can do for a 31 year old woman other than tell her she smells
bad!  As if that's going to improve things!

But, what I find interesting is that I have two celiac sons.  Only
one has a pungent body odor.  He has oilier than average skin so his
bedding & clothing need to be washed more often than his three
brothers' do.  So I don't believe it has anything to do with celiac
disease directly.

The most peculiar thing about him though, is that his poop has almost
no odor at all, but is actually sweet smelling, almost like a freshly
baked spice cake!  Go figure.  I'm sure you've heard the popular
saying that someone thinks they are so much better than everyone else
that their sh-- don't stink.  Well, in my son's case it's true.

This is very peculiar to me especially because I've read that the
stools of untreated celiacs frequently have a horrid characteristic
fetid smell.  Not the case for this young man.
*************************************
Diabetes can cause the odor problems that you mention.
**************************************
can't say anything about nutritional deficiencies, but...

I have found that wearing certain types of fabrics, mainly rayon,
nylon or polyester, makes my body odor really foul smelling. I can
wear clothing with a little bit of nylon in it but not much.

I would also suggest switching up deodorants - some brands, types
make my odor really foul too. I switch them up often.
I had problems with a body odor resembling rancid chicken fat.  It
all cleared up when I added magnesium supplements to my diet.  The
problem I now have is balancing potassium and mg because I believe
the potassium deficiency is causing my muscle tetany.
I was diagnosed in June 2004 and about a year ago I started noticing
that deodorant was not working like it used to.  I am now having a
lot of problems with underarm odor no matter how often I wash or use
deodorant.  I have asked my doctor and he has no ideas (in fact I
think he thinks I'm just imagining it--I'm not.)  I wish I could
offer some insight to you but if you get any from others, I would
really appreciate you forwarding it.
Thanks and good luck,
Thank you all!

Celiac best,