Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:30:51 EDT

Thanks to all for sending us information on the differentiation between
shingles and dermatitis herpetiformis.  It has been very helpful.  Following is a
summation of the information you forwarded to us.

First and foremost:  get a "good" doctor who can differentiate between the
two and treat either.   One of you told us that DH appears when IgA deposits in
the skin become inflamed.   A skin test for IgA  is recommended for those
suspected of having the condition.

Differentiating signs between DH and shingles:  Shingles are painful; DH is
more likely to cause pruritis.  DH is more likely to present bilaterally,
usually on the trunk, elbows, knees, etc.; seldom is it found on the face.
Shingles presents unilaterally, following a nerve path.

Several of you suggested using L-Lysine [which my husband already uses for
canker sores] as it helps with cold sores (herpes simplex) and other conditions.
 The recommended medication for DH is dapsone which can cause havoc with the
patient's blood profile (one of you wrote that your RBC and WBC are virtually
nonexistent).  Fortunately for us, my husband probably does not have DH; he
could never take dapsone as it is a sulfa derivative, to which he is severely
allergic.

Other suggested we look into shampoos, soaps, etc.  which we did (see
following post).   We were surprised at the number of shampoos that contain wheat
products.  In fact, the thinking is now that my husband may have a mild case of
shingles or he may have a contact dermatitis due to using shampoos which
contain wheat.

Again, thanks to all for your input.

Betty Rosen