From:
Drew Howerton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Drew Howerton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 23:29:12 -0800

GF Friends,

I'm a newly diagnosed Celiac and have had extreme problems with
insomnia, chronic fatigue, and ADD like focus-issues. My first question
is a specific one: Does any one know if Provigil is gluten free? My
doctor wants me to try this non-stimulant drug usually used to treat
narcolepsy and fatigue in MS, but I want to make sure it's GF before I
start. The company lists "pre-gelatinized starch" as an inactive
ingredient. Not sure what that means. I've had trouble with starches in
pharmaceuticals before. For example, Ambien is listed on some websites
as gluten-free, but then others say only particular "lots" use potato
starch where others use wheat starch. What gives?

My second question is a more generalized one and maybe not really a
question at all but a need to hear others support/encouragement and
solutions/stories. Has anyone seen dramatic improvement in lack of
mental clarity and fatigue issues from the GF diet? I've tried many
medications to fight the fatigue/attention problems (adderall, ritilin
and low doses of various anti-depressants) but most of these are "too
stimulating" and increase my anxiety problems ten-fold or have other
side-effects that have caused me to discontinue them (heart
palpitations, further stomach problems, etc). I've only been on a GF
diet for a little under a month now and I'm having a very hard time
adjusting considering the fact that I almost never cooked anything and
always ate on the go (i.e. take-out and fast food). I can tell
immediately when I stray from the GF diet, not only does my stomach go
crazy but my brain settles into a confused stupor like state. Some of
the info I got off the ListServ stated that focus and attention problems
often continue even after going GF. What are other people's experiences
with this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Will Summarize,

Sincerely,

Drew

Los Angeles, CA