From:
Pat Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:47:50 EDT

Many thanks for your responses to my request for a multi-vitamin for over-60=

women. My information about lutein containing gluten appears to be a mistake.
I have called several  manufacturers of vitamins containing lutein and they
say there is NO gluten in the pills.  Following is a summary of your
recommendations and comments I found especially helpful.

4    Twin Labs with iron. - I takes Citracel plus D .
3      GNC's multi-vitamin, mineral
3      Naturemade are GF
2      Centrum Silver, Centrum and NaturesPlus

1 each--
Natrol - from my local (Akron, Ohio) Walgreens.

Costco
Kirkland,
Sam's Club
Sundown Super 33's
Freda,  B complex from Freda.

THARAGRAN M is gluten free

=========

The Lutein also contains food dye Red #40, which is a food dye we are to
stay away from.  I know Red #40 creates red dot type spots on me.  The
multi-vitamin I take is from Freda and I also take B complex from Freda.
They are both GF, I buy them from Gluten-Free Pantry.

---------------

If you have DH you shouldn't be taking a multi-vitamin-mineral because of
the iodine. Several years ago iodine patches were used to test for DH. I
have not found a multi vitamin mineral that doesn't have iodine. I take a
high potency vitamin and take a calcium tablet with Zinc and magnesium.

----------------

I take TwinLab Allergy MultiCaps.  It has not just the vitamins in the
usual multi, but also 500mg Vit C, 400mg VitE and 1000mg Calcium when you
take the 6 capsules daily - I have no need for all those other bottles, so
the cost of the one saves me from buying 3 other vitamins.  And - if you
have allergies to corn, soy, glutens, citrus, chemicals, etc. these would
work (which is why I started them in the first place).  I get mine at
vitacost.com or webrx.com for $13.25 for 200 capsules (which is 50% off list).
You can go to either of the websites to get the full profile of the
vitamin.  6 sounds like a lot, but when you spread it out for every meal,
not so bad.  I was taking that many when I took a multi, C, E and calcium
anyway.

Thank you all,
Pat/VA