From:
"Thorn, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thorn, Michael
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 16:05:23 -0400

There were more comments---

In 1994, when I was first diagnosed with CD,  I called CSA at their
national headquarters looking for a local CD support group (in Atlanta).
I was told in several different phone calls that there wasn't one in
existence.  I later found out through persistence and from info from a
neighborhood health food store, that there was a huge active support
group and the meeting was the very next day after my inquiry at the hfs.
I went to that meeting and there were at least 200 people there!!  I
learned about this listserv and everything else from the support group.
It was explained to me that (at that time) the local gluten-intolerant
support group did not want to be part of CSA because their dues were
excessive and their views were hidebound, so CSA just told CD sufferers
like myself that a support group did not exist!   I have never forgotten
that blatant lie, and have never been a CSA fan since that time (14 y
ears ago).  They have just dug their heels into the ground and I think
they have finally "jumped the shark."

Thanks for sharing these comments.
The Boston group's letter exactly expressed the thinking of the
Rochester Celiac Support Group when we switched our affiliation to GIG
several years ago. We also felt that scientific evidence should out
weigh anecdotal reports of individual problems. Does CSA still advise
avoiding canola oil? I remember 15 years ago, when I was first
diagnosed, wondering why distilled vinegar was considered a problem.
Thankfully the days of carrying your own supply of salad dressing or
being limited to oil and vinegar is behind us.
All adverse reactions to foods should not be quickly attributed to a
gluten reaction even if the results mimic a gluten reaction.

(from Canada)

And, thanks for posting these responses - they are most interesting, and
most are in sympathy with our views.

Interestingly, we, as a manufacturer, had an extreme encounter with CSA
in early 2006 which got resolved in our favour through very extensive
(and, unfortunately, expensive) gluten testing at FARRP.  CSA had their
heels

(heals?) dug in and they were willing to go to any extreme to "prove"
their point.  XXX was very pleasant and understanding during our
extensive conversations over resolution and other matters, but I got the
impression that part of the CSA conservatism is because she herself is
very sensitive.

Thank you for posting these messages. It will mean a lot to the majority
of the people on the List.