From:
Lisa Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2009 09:38:23 -0400

For those of you who remember, I sent a post about a three year old with
scaring of the liver.  I have a few questions and I hope you all can help.

1.  Rays iron level came back <5 when average is 50-160.
Hemoglobin/hematocrit ect all normal.  Thyroid tests normal and not
boarderline.   I was only told by our dr/diet to give him poly-vi-sol mulit vit
with iron.  My son is not growing and is now refusing to eat.  Anys
suggestions on how to increase his iron?  We cook in cast iron and my son will
only eat whole grain brown rice pasta.

2.  Our Metabolic Genetic dr is questioning his celiac dx. Celiac blood panel
was normal, but he was only 2 at the time.  The biopsy states "intact villous
architecture without significant numbers of intraepithelial lymphocytes.
Theses findings are compatible with the history of treated celiac disease."
However, my son was not on a gluten free diet at the time.  I had begun to
limit his gluten intake because of projectile vomiting and endless diapers, but
he still ate chicken nuggets, pizza etc about 3 times a week.  I only limited
gluten for about a month before the biopsy.  After going gluten free, the
vomiting and diapers slowed but did not stop.  He is now on prevacid which
has stopped all vomiting (knock on wood), but he still has messy poops that
are now green (about 2 a day). He is also dairy/casien free and has very little
soy.

My sons symptoms prior to going GF were FFT, short stature, bloated belly,
boarder line anemia, extremely elevated liver emzymes, very long eyelashes,
projectile vomiting normally in the morning, 5-9 messy foul smelling diapers a
day, liver 10 cm and very grumpy.

My sons symptoms after GF (for 1 yr)  -acid reflux, vomiting (not nearly as
often), FFT, short stature, anemic, fluxuating liver emzymes, liver is about 12
to 9 cm, very anemic, still loose poops about 2 times a day and green now, no
appetite, bloating (but not as bad.)  Once we started Prevacid, about 2
months ago, vomiting has stopped.

We are gluten free and so are our pets. Ray is on probiotics.  I have even
limited his food intake of products made in a facility with wheat. All other
products are GF in our house and I only clean with soapy water (all gf also).

We are scheduled to see a Ped GI Dr at Duke, but not till Sept.

So, after my venting, my questions are!
1.  How to increase his iron or help is iron?
2.  What can cause his iron to get so low?
3.  Other possible dx besides celiac disease that are causing his GI symptoms?

Thanks for your help and I will summarize for you all!
Lisa Singer
Mom to Ray - 3 yrs - multiple GI issues and possible metabolic syndrome -
glycogen storage disease type III.