From:
Barbara O'Marra <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:03:33 EDT

Thank you for all the responses regarding my question on numb toes and
tingling sensations.

I received many responses, which I will list (some are quotes, others the
suggestion alone) Just to note, I have been to a naturopath since this
question posted and have learned I have many other food issues: dairy is a
big problem for me, as is: chocolate, tomato, many fruits, some beans, and a
few more.  Fortunately, I have found an excellent naturopath who is committed
to helping me get better.  He feels the numbness and tingling sensations are
due to vitamin deficiencies.  I am taking several homeopathic remedies to
help heal my intestines and digestive system.

Here are the ideas I was given as to possible causes:

-Milk protein allergy
-Be sure to get your thyroid levels checked.
-Scleroderma (two people suggested this)
-Possibly still ingesting gluten (several people suggested this)
-Peripheral Neuropathy (several times on this one)
-THORNE Oscap Plus and Basic Nutrients II.
-Many suggested B vits, incl. B6, B12 -
-Many suggested a yeast problem/candida - Interestingly, my GI says no such
thing exists (I have a hard time believing him about that one)
-One person suggested seeing a neurologist.
-Another suggested seeing paleo.com, that it could be food related (I'm
leaning toward this idea, having found out I can't tolerate dairy) Thanks!
-A suggestion for B complex & calcium
-Another suggestion: Magnesium supplement in form of magnesium glycinate and
my numbness problems disappeared.  (Many of the forms of magnesium are poorly
absorbed by our bodies)  I also found that just going gluten free wasn't
enough for  me.  I now follow the SCD food eating program and it has made a
major difference
for me.  See:   http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.org/    If we are not
digesting
our foods properly, we continue to experience problems from malabsorption.
-Another...I had a problem similar in my legs about  a year ago.. I had
started
taking a new calcium tablet that had copper in it... when I quit taking I
immediately started to get relief ... in about a week the symptoms were
gone.
-Again vitamin B, zinc, other food sensitivities (this seems to be common
among us...)
-Removing gluten, milk, soy and sugar was suggested
-Check www.finerhealth.com. This is the website of the doctor who is our
medical advisor in Dallas. He can tell you how he checks for this. There may
be something on the site about that.
-One person suggested a nerve problem
-Another suggestion was related to ingesting corn and to research, on the
web, Cerebellar Ataxia - this did not seem related at all, but thanks.
-Again, another suggested a pinched nerve
-Another suggested the the ELISA testing for food allergies and
-antibody testing for rheumatoid factor. I agree that glucose tolerance
testing looking for diabetes and hypoglycemia would also make sense.
-Three people suggested arthritis
-You might want to make an appointment with a good rheumatologist.  The
symptoms you describe can be part of Sjogren's, Scleroderma, Lupus, RA and
other autoimmune disorders related to celiac disease.  I have C.D. and
Sjogren's and experience swollen fingers, numbness and fatigue, among other
symptoms.

Again, many responses about vitamin deficiencies, or that it's just plain due
to celiac disease, having ingested gluten over the years...

Thank you all for your responses.  There are obviously a variety of opinions
on this one so I'm starting with some blood work to detect any deficiencies,
continuing to work on my diet, and then I'll proceed through the list until I
figure it out.  My hope is that it will simply be another offending food -
What will be left to eat???:)

Good luck to all

Barb