From:
Annmaureen Surra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 17:42:23 -0500

M>I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with Celiac disease 2 years ago. I had
M>biopsies taken for an unrelated condition and it turned out that I had
M>Celiac disease. I have never had symptoms of this condition. I could eat a
M>loaf of bread and feel great. My gastroenterologist told me this is not
M>unusual. However, if I had continued to ingest gluten I would have began
M>having symptoms in my forties or fifties. From what I have learned this is
M>not unusual. I have been on a gluten free diet since I was diagnosed and I
M>now have completely normal small bowel biopsies.
M>
M>Leanne

Your signs and symptoms of the "unrelated" condition might have been
also associated with Celiac disease. Celiac manifests itself myriad
ways. Sadly, there are also occult damages. Good luck on your diet! I
think a genetic key and some "trigger" are important aspects in the
Celiac development. It's interesting to conjecture. My joke used to be
that I would put anything between two slices of bread. Subway (sometimes
called Hero) sandwiches were my special treat. I could eat a dozen
doughnuts without a burp or a weight gain. Amazing! AMS