Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 20:49:35 -0500

Apparently all the parts did not come thru, so i'll resend 6-8. Susan

I have a wonderful restaurant in my area that does not use msg (monosodiuim glutimate) so that is a head start.  They are not just a fast food chinese place, although they do offer take out service.I ask them what has wheat flour added vs cornstarch and rice flour.  I also ask them to help me select things that do not have soy sauce in them.  Many dishes have soy sauce in the sauce which can easily be made with out the soy sauce.  I wouldn't dream of asking a quick stop chinese place to do this.
****
You'll find all the information you need if you ask your questions at this other excellent site;
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages
***
I eat in Chinese restaurants often and usually without problems.  I ask them to leave out all soy sauces and MSG.  I am also a vegetarian and most menus usually have a vegetable delight that that is safe.
***
I've had c.d. for almost 6 years, and remain on a strict diet.  Dining in chinese restaurants has not been a problem for me.  I always order items off the menu that have white sauce as they are made w/ cornstarch.  I stay away from their soy sauce as most have wheat.  I bring my La Choy sauce in a sml container which is what film rolls come in.  (Got this idea from another celiac).  Most items I order have chicken,  various veggies, wh rice, and the egg flower soup and sizzling rice soup are great.  Of course,  I always talk to the owner/chef when I"m there for the first time.
****
I think that in order to dine safely at a Chinese restaurant it is best to select one restaurant to be "your" place.  You want to get to know the owners and chefs so that they are willing to adapt their cooking for you. Make it clear all the ingredients you cannot eat, and make sure they understand you, in case English is not their first language.  I did this with a Thai restaurant where I used to live.  I also took in my own bottle of wheat-free tamari soy sauce each time I ate there, so that they didn't
have to purchase anything additional for me.  When I eat at other Asian restaurants, where I am not a regular customer, I have found that a steamed vegetable platter without any seasonings is the safest bet.  It's not very exciting but it works.
****
I never eat at Chinese restaurants.  Used to and after some problems I quit.   They use MSG in everything and MSG manufactured outside the US can and usually does come from wheat.  They also use soy sauce in almost everything and again, the soy sauce is usually from wheat.   I miss Chinese too, almost as much as pizza from Pizza Hut!