From:
Debbie Gates <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Debbie Gates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:36:56 -0800

First I want to thank all of you that responded and expressed sincere hopes of my having a great time out! I received about 40 responses. 2 said that they had contacted Applebee's Corporate and had been told that we (Celiacs) shouldn't eat there. 1 said everything that Applebee's has containes gluten. Of the rest, it was split as to good and bad experiences at the restaurant. I went to one in Tucson, Az. I had a great time. The waitress was wonderful, listened very carefully to my questions and found out answers for me. I was told all meat came pre-marinated except for the hamburger, which is 100% beef - no fillers added. I ordered a bunless burger (which was grilled) and steamed vegetables with absolutely no seasoning on any of it. 24 hours later and no reactions. I usually react pretty quick to getting gluten. Many people suggested their chicken dishes, but because I am of the belief that chicken can be injected with gluten containing substances in order to make it less dry, I didn't want to risk the chicken. So, if anyone wanted to try Applebee's, a burger patty and steamed vegetables (no seasonings) seems to be okay. You do have to be comfortable with the waitperson taking you seriously, though. It's always a risk when you eat out. But, we do still have to live! Thanks again everyone!        Debbie/AZ