From:
Marilyn Gioannini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 08:58:54 -0700

>If noone responds within 48 hours I am  going to drop two feet of pure
>white Canadian snow along the Mexican-U.S. border

No! No! Please, no snow. OK, here's how my Mexican daughter-in-law makes
chile con carne.

Take a pretty big beef roast, (cheap is ok) trim the fat, and put it in the
crock pot on low for all day. When you get home, take the meat out and dice
it, discarding bones and fat. Skim the fat off the juice in the crock pot.
Add the meat, diced, to the pot. Add about 1/3 cup pure *hot* New Mexican
chile powder. (Less if you are wimpy). Add enough water to get the texture
you want. Add some pure garlic powder (not garlic salt), 1 teaspoon oregano,
1 teaspoon cumin. Add salt if you want. Cook a while longer, at least 1/2
hour. You can speed up this last cooking by putting it in a pot and
simmering on the stove.

Great in burritos, tostados, and so on. I can't eat it, but everyone else
loves it!

She gets the chile from her chile farmer dad - I don't know about your
supply - probably the trickiest part.

Marilyn Gioannini
Author of "The Complete Food Allergy Cookbook"
Las Cruces, New Mexico