From:
Becky Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Becky Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 20:15:01 -0600

Thank you to all who replied so very quickly...this is going to be a great b-day I just know it!!! Following is a compliation of what I received...

Becky

http://gfutah.org/recipes/Chocolate_Cake.html

White Texas Sheet Cake

1 c butter or margarine 1 c water
2 c gf flour mix 2 c sugar
2 eggs, beaten ½ c sour cream
1 tsp almond 1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda ¼ tsp baking powder
2 tsp xanthan gum

In large saucepan, bring butter & water to boil. Remove from
heat; wisk in remaining ingredients until smooth. Pour into
greased 15x10  baking pan. (I have also used smaller pan).
Bake at 375 for 20-22 min until cake is golden brown and tests
done. Cool for 20 min.

Frosting:

½ c butter ¼ c milk
4 ½ c powdered sugar ½ tsp almond
1 c chopped walnuts (optional)

Combine milk and butter in  saucepan and bring to a boil.
Remove from heat. Add sugar and almond. Mix well. Spread
over warm cake.

Leila's Best Chocolate Cake Ever

2 c gf flour mix 1 tsp baking powder 2 eggs
2 c sugar ½ c cocoa ½ tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda 1 ½ tsp xanthan gum 1 c hot water
1 c vegetable oil 1 c buttermilk

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Stir in oil, buttermilk & eggs (I used my mixer). Add hot water and stir til combined. Pour into a greased 13x9 pan (I made cupcakes). Bake cake at 350 35-38 min, or cupcakes for 20 min. Frost as desired.

ANGEL FOOD CAKE

14 egg whites (1 ½ c) 1/2 c cornstarch ½ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp cream of tartar 1 c powdered sugar
½ c potato starch
2/3 c sugar ½ tsp salt
2 tsp dried lemon peel

Set egg whites aside to bring to room temperature. Sift together in a small bowl the powdered sugar, flour and cornstarch. Measure sugar to have handy. In large glass bowl, place eggs whites, cream of tartar, salt and lemon peel. With mixer on high, beat til mixture is well blended. Continue to beat, adding the sugar slowly. Beat just til sugar is dissolved and whites form stiff peaks. Gently fold in the flour and powdered sugar mixture about one-fourth at a time, folding just enough so the flour disappears. Pour batter into ungreased tube pan and cut through to break any air bubbles. Bake 35 min at 375, or til tops springs back when lightly touched. Remove from oven and cool the cake in the inverted pan. Remove cake only when completely cool.

http://cake.allrecipes.com/az/GlutenFreeYellowCake.asp

I used the Pamela's Ultimate Brownie mix - there is a cake recipe on the side.  Her non-GF gfriends ate it up.  Just make sure you use the highest-fat content ingredients for the add-ins (like whole milk, butter, etc).

Dowd & Rogers

Use your fav old recipe and use cornstarch in place of flour...cup for cup.
You do not need xanthum gum etc.  It will be lightly and great!!!!  I do not
use any sub flour in baking

Really Great Food Company

This is our favorite! It actually better the next day.  Makes a smallist recipe, double for 9x13 pan.

Whipped Cream Cake

Preheat oven to 350º.
         Grease an 8x12 inch pan.         Sift dry ingredients:
   1 1/2 c. oriental rice flour (a must!)
         2 tsp. gluten-free baking powder
      1/4 tsp. salt
Whip until stiff:
         1 c. cold whipping cream
Add:  2 eggs
         1 c. sugar
         1 tsp. g.f. vanilla

Continue beating until no longer gritty.
Add dry ingredients,  blend in w/ wire whisk. Pour into prepared pan. Tap on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake for
30-45 min, or until it tests done. Top w/ cinnamon sugar while still warm or cool well & frost.  Make a double recipe in a 9x13" pan.  (from The Joy of Gluten-Free Cooking,  Jaunita Kisslinger)

This chocolate one gets rave reviews!

Cocoa Sheet Cake
(Heart Healthy recipe,  "Zorba Paster On Your Health," National Public Radio-90.7)
      3 egg whites or 2 eggs (for a bit more fat)
      1 c. sugar
      1 c. flour (use g.f.) ( use a mix of oriental white rice & sweet rice, ~4:1 or so)
   1/3 c. cocoa
      1 tsp. baking soda
   1/2 tsp. salt
   3/4 c. applesauce
1 1/2 Tbs. lemon juice
      1 tsp. vanilla
          Powdered Sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Add ingredients one at a time, stirring well after each addition.  Lightly "Pam" a 9x9 baking pan.  Pour batter into pan & bake 30 min.  (For a 9x13" pan, double recipe, and bake a bit longer.)  With egg white, total fat--1%. (Add extra nutrition by using 1/4 to 1/3 soy, or other bean, flour. Because it has a definite taste, it works best in foods w/ strong flavors, like chocolate or spice cake.)
Recipe doubled.to make 30 cupcakes, with 3 whole eggs, not whites (not 100% fat free)

(I 0use a mix of oriental white rice & sweet rice, ~4:1 or so...I heaping Tbs. of sweet rice & then fill cup up w/ white rice.)

I have had excellent success making a German Chocolate Cake using the recipe on the german chocolate package and substituting Montina Blend (1 for 1) and adding 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum. It has been GREAT!!

I have made other cakes out of my regular cook book and substituted Gifts of Nature All Purpose Blend or Montina Blend, and I always add at least 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan gum. I have not had a failure yet when I do this.

"Cause you're Special"

Kinnikinnick

Gluten Free Pantry's Danielle's Decadent Chocolate Cake mix

Ruby Range products

The best recipe I have found is right on the Hershey's cocoa can!!   Then I just find a butter cream frosting and add chocolate to it.    I follow the can recipe and just added Kinnikinnick's gf flour mix in place of regular flour.   My husband finally found something he likes that is GF (and he is not celiac).  I usually make cupcakes tho...

Pamela's Brownie Mix

This is our family's favorite chocolate cake.  Even the non-celiacs request
it!ShellyCHOCOLATE CAKE1 3/4 cups unsifted GF flour mix ( Bette hagman as I
keep mixed and on hand)1 teaspoon xanthan gum2 cups sugar3/4 cup Hershey's
cocoa1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda1 1/2 teaspoons GF baking power1 teaspoon
salt (I use bit less)2 eggs 1 cup rice milk1/2 cup canola oil2 teaspoons GF
vanilla1 cup boiling waterCombine dry ingredients in large mixer bowl. Add
remaining ingredients EXCEPT boiling water; beat at medium 2 minutes. Stir
in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour into two greased and floured
(w/rice flour) 9 inch or three 8 inch layer pans or one 13 x 9 x 2 pan. Bake
at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes for layers, 45-55 minutes for 13 x 9 x 2
pan, or until tester inserted in center comes out clean. cool 10 minures;
remove from pans. cool completely.