From:
Katerina Quinterno <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 2009 04:58:37 -0700

Folks - below is a summary of the answers / current position in relation to the availability of GF Phyllo Dough:

Firstly, I wrote to "Athens" who is currently one of the largest producers of phyllo dough in the US and this is an extract from the response I received:

"No we will always use wheat as traditionally done by Greeks.  There are
not many fillo companies and the supply for fillo is hard to fill now in
the America's."

I am disappointed with this response (particularly from a food scientist) and let me tell you why I think he is WRONG! I am a former attorney turned cullinarian (studying baking & pastry). Unfortunately, the Fed is taking its time (from what I can tell) settling on a final legal definition / standard for the claim of "Gluten-Free" on food labels however, at some point in the very near future, this will be finalized. Once we have overcome this hurdle, food science will have NO alternative but to meet the demands of the ever expanding gluten-free population. At that point, no manufacturer in their "right mind" who will issue responses like the one above.

I intend working hard to dispel the hopelessness that some food scientists insist on spreading and will keep you all posted on any progress.

While it seems there is no GF commercial phyllo dough available, a good suggestion I received was utilizing "wanton rice paper." I am going to give this a try but you would probably have to "flash fry" rather than bake this product to counter its vastly more "chewy" character. As for an alternative for making desserts - I am going to try a strudel dough recipe and see if I can come close....

Keep asking your grocers for GF products, keep the demand for quality and variety strong and "capitalism" will take care of the rest!

Katerina