Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 11:39:37 -0700

The post regarding Muir Glen / General Mills was very
reminiscent of a recent call I had to the company.

I called regarding one of the fruit snacks under their
Nabisco brand.  I had been told on prior calls that "if an
ingredient is not on the label, it is NOT in the product."

The rep stated this was because General Mills believes in
making sure people aren't mislead as to ingredients.

However, wanting to be sure, I called and the rep said that
any of the "top 8 allergens" would be listed on the label.

I explained to the rep that while wheat does fall within
the top 8 allergens, other gluten containing grains do not,
and could she please check to make sure other grains
weren't present.  The rep informed me that those other
grains, barley, rye, and oats, would be "included" under
wheat. This response -- being so wrong-- really aggravated
me.  So I tried again to explain why her response was 'most
likely' not correct.  She them told me that they had been
trained by the Food Allergy and Anaphlaxis Network (FAAN)
people, and that if I was confused, I should contact them.

So, with FAAN just across town, I contacted them and
explained my dilemma.  FAAN agreed, that no they would
never have said that 'other' grains fall under the heading
of wheat.  (Oh, yes, and I almost certain the FAAN staffer
told me they don't go into companies and train the staff.)

Called General Mills back, spoke to a supervisor.  Walked
him through the response I had been given.  He said,
"barley, rye and oats are not part of wheat".  Surprise!

Then apologized for the response by the prior rep.  That
was a week ago, and I'm still waiting to hear whether or
not there is any gluten in the 'natural flavors' for these
fruit snacks.

In retrospect, I doubt the accuracy of the received on the
first call, and will be following up with them again.

While many companies have made great strides in providing
prompt, clear information, others need to revamp their
whole consumer response process.

Andrea