From:
Diane Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 20:52:52 +0000

Hello.

   Recently I bought some Campbell's Tomato Juice.  It listed "tomato
concentrate" as an ingredient, which I had thought might be a safer bet than
the "tomato paste" often listed on other brands.

   I checked the celiac archives, and since there was nothing very recent on
it, I called the Campbell's 800 number (1-800-871-0988).

   Before the representative would answer my question, she had to have, not
only the product name and size, but its barcode number, as well as my zip
code.  She then told me that yes, this one was gluten-free.  What bothers me
is that apparently they cannot make across-the-board statements as to the
gluten status of their tomato juices.

    She said she would send me a list of their gluten-free products (by
number).  I accepted the offer, although probably by the next time I want to
buy it those numbers won't be what are on the shelves.

    On one hand, I am pleased that they were so precise in answering my
question.  On the other, why can't they just make them all gluten-free?

    For those who care: Campbell's Tomato Juice from Concentrate, 46 fl.
oz., barcode number 5100002025 3 is gluten-free (at least in Brooklyn).

Diane