From:
Sally Lopez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 17:09:55 -0400

In just a few short hours, I've getting
OVERWHELMED with replies supporting ONE list of gf
foods!

Several people wondered about the best way to
handle controversial ingrediants such as distilled
vinegar.  In my opinion, there is no reason we
can't develop a classification system acceptable
to all.  For instance:

  contains no gf ingrediants

  contains (name of controversial ingrediant such
as distilled vinegar or whatever)

  contains gluten

The next step would be the logistics of such a
website.  It was mentioned that Clan Thompson was
doing something like this already. I am not
familiar with their book and don't know what
methodology they used in gathering their
information or what system they use to classify
controversial ingrediants.  Perhaps if they knew
that 500 of us would order their book tomorrow,
they would lower the price for all of us
accordingly.

We can continue to each individually re-invent the
wheel or we can discover a way to accommodate our
differences.  Apparently the two celiac groups
don't work in tandem.  If we don't come together
on such issues, it will be difficult for P&G, or
the FDA, or any other healthcare concerns to take
us seriously.  If we want things to change, this
is an opportunity to learn to work effectively
together.

Isn't it time we all were on the same page?  It
will take some effort, but will be well worth it!

Would Clan Thompson or any other sources of lists
of gf foods please come forward and describe their
services, describe how they handled controversial
foods, and the cost of their books/services?

Could those who have good suggestions on ways to
classify controversial ingrediants come forward?

If such a list were to be created by members of
this list, could we attach it to the listowners'
website?  If not, what would be the best way to
put it on the internet for all to access?

--
Sally Lopez