From:
Eileen J <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Dec 1997 20:53:32 -0800

Hi everyone,
My SO and I just got back from our first family dinner
since celiac became a word we often use.

Thank you to everyone on the list for helping
me to understand the risks to my husband and
his family. Thank you more for providing such
a treasure of information and good advice on
approaching family members.

The evening was great, the dinner was a simpler
(but still delicious) version of his sister's usual
Christmas dinner, minus the usual toppings and sauces.

It was easy to avoid the stuffing and concentrate on
lots of fresh vegetables.

I attempted my first gluten-free baking today. I made Italian
Cheese Straws from Hagman's second book. I took the
best looking ones with us.

SO got to eat the turkey neck (his favorite
anyways) served about an hour before the bird
was done. I filled the gluten-laden snack tray with Cheese
Straws. The kids didn't like them, but the adults
did and Ron (SO) liked them a lot, but then, he's
been deprived lately.

His family, two sisters, one brother, seem interested,
especially one sister, who, as I have said, is huge. I tried
my best to be positive and we made no big deal out of it.

So thank you all once again. You saved Christmas.
Next year, I'm cooking...Eileen