From:
Diane H Moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane H Moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 14:48:39 -0500

Just wanted to share a recent experience.  This goes under the category
of - just when you think you have all the bases covered.

I was recently on a different medication and from the first, reacted to
it (a gluten reaction).  Unfortunately, because it was prednisone, which
dampened my reaction, and because I kept thinking it couldn't possibly
be, I continued to take it for over a week, until I was very sick and had
no doubt.  The medication itself is gluten-free.  THis is not one of
those companies that fudges and states we can't guarantee our suppliers.
They actually put "gluten-free" right on the bottle they sell the
pharmacies.
So, yesterday I went to my pharmacy and talked with the pharmacist.  She
thinks that there was a possibility that the pills could have been
contaminated from the dispensing tray - if a previously dispensed
medication counted out on the same tray had contained gluten.  So, what
we settled on is in the future, I will arrive in person for my refills
and have them clean the tray and utensils when they dispense my
medications.

I also have suspicions of contamination from the pharmacists eating back
there, but she vehemently denied that they eat in the area where they
dispense medication.

Just wanted to share
Diane
Denver