From:
John Maines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 06:39:59 -0400

Ten people responded, nine to concur, one to take issue.  As always the
dissent is where the action is and where we learn.  Hence I have changed
the title from "Scientific vs. Intuitive" to "Science and Intuition" and
apologize for the unnecessary tension generated by my first choice which
only reflected my own predjudice, not an actual one.  I should have
known better.  For anyone interested in a scientific study of the issue,
there is a fascinating little book titled "A Psychologic Study of
Invention in Mathematics" as I remember.  Also a study from Harvard
which compared the value of information from the computer banks in the
intensive care unit with the intuition of the nurses taking care of the
patients. Guess who won when the chips were down!  Which is not to say
that Harvard trashed its computers. Sorry, I don't have that reference.
I will hunt for it if any one is interested.

Two respondents also commented on their familiarity my home in the
little Adirondack hamlet of North Creek. Two out of ten!

Finally, one respondent sent a fascinating account of her experience
which she did not want to post herself.  She asked me to and I seem to
have lost it.  I would like a second chance if she reads this.  Jack
Maines North Creek NY