From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 10:36:55 -0500

Here's another auto-immune related (?) condition:

I've just been diagnosed with frozen shoulder, also called adhesive
capsulitis. My (new to me) orthopedic doctor says it is most common
in women in their 50s, and the sufferers usually have diabetes or
thyroid problems! He seemed quite surprised that I have neither
condition (although I do fit the age category). Frozen shoulder is
self-limiting, which means it could last about 1 year no matter what
I do, maybe up to 4 years. Well, I have had another attack--in the
opposite shoulder--around 5 years ago, which took a year and a half
to clear up, with exercises and ibuprofen, and I couldn't even dress
myself for months (and my dr at that time said nothing about it
except to recommend the exercises--I have since left him for other
reasons, like not wanting even to investigate my increasing
gastrointestinal pain  & symptoms).

So when the orthopedist suggested physical therapy to help relieve
the problem, I agreed. Last night the therapist asked me several
times if I had diabetes or thryroid troubles, and also seemed very
surprised that I do not.

Now I'm curious to know how many people on the list have had frozen
shoulder too, since many on the list also have diabetes and/or
thyroid disease. There is nothing on it in the archives. Please email
me if you have also had F.S., and note whether you are diagnosed
celiac or with another problem, self-diagnosed celiac, and/or
diagnosed with diabetes and/or thyroid disease. If you don't mind
noting your age, that might be interesting too. I will summarize the
tally back to the list.

TIA, good luck and good health!
Bobbi in Baltimore