From:
"Curtis,Dave [St. John's]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 10:30:04 -0330

Peggy Sue Hecht wrote:

>I have a wheat allergy so this may not apply to celiacs.  But I
>thought you all might find it interesting anyway....
>Yesterday I decided to hang some wall paper in my kitchen and

Allow me to relate a 'bad' incident which happened to our daughter last
year.

It isn't uncommon for us to drop the two kids (both celiac) off with my
parents while we go shopping or whatever, so this day we dropped off our
oldest.  My parents were stripping off old wallpaper downstairs so my
daughter and niece were also downstairs.   They were minding their own
business playing away from my parents who were busy tearing down the old
paper.   In no uncertain terms did our daughter come into contact with
the paper or anything but whoah what a fit she went through that night
and for the next three days solid.  There were times she was screaming
for 45 minutes straight and we could do nothing for her.   This was just
after her diagnosis so we weren't really up on all the possible dangers.
 The answer to why... DUST from the glue holding the wallpaper on.
Simply from breathing the dust she reacted.   It was very hard for us to
cope not knowing why and my parents trying to figure where they might
have slipped on not being careful enough, but it wasn't anything they
did knowingly.

We all learned just how sensitive our daughter is and another hidden
danger.

I hope this story helps others.

Take Care
Dave Curtis