From:
Nikki Vane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 14:44:32 +0100

Hi all I have just returned from a visit to Forest Mere - a so-called
"health" farm in the UK.  Despite being asked in advance if I had any special
dietary requirements, they did nothing about my request for gluten free
food/meals.  (Good job I took some GF bread and crackers) In fact I was
horrified to find out that no one there seemed to know about CD and even less
was known about gluten in food.

My request for GF foods had not been passed on to the kitchen and the first
morning I was asked to toast my bread in a communal toaster, which dropped my
GF slice into a pile of non-gf breadcrumbs!  For breakfast and lunch there
was a self-service buffet, but nothing was labelled.  I had to enquire about
everything I wanted to eat, and even when I suggested they check the wrappers
for ingredient lists, they were unable to do so - for some inexplicable
reason their foodstuffs arrived without labels or ingredient lists!  (I am
not sure but think this in itself is illegal in the UK).  It was quite scary
and really marred my stay there - goodness knows what would have happened had
I suffered from nut allergy....

I managed to track down a duty manager and gave him a short lecture about
gluten and CD, then suggested he contact the Coeliac Society for more
information.

So, if anyone is thinking of visiting this particular place (or their
associated "health" farms) be warned in advance!

Nikki
London, UK