From:
Delia Kang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 20:23:01 -0400

thank you to everyone who responded to my questions!!!

out of the 50 responses i received, about 5 of us out there have no symptoms
at all when we eat gluten! you were all very encouraging to me to stick with
the gf diet!!!

the summary about if my future children will have cd is that it's about a
10% chance, but that even varied with some responses.

below is a summary about the liquid iron question...lots of great hints!!!

thanks again for everything...

delia kang
ottawa ontario

******

There is some liquid irons. I had to take it during my
pregnancy.  Very nasty tasting, to be honest. Ask your physician to
prescribe some for you.

******

Liquid iron is probably just that: iron in a liquid form instead of a tablet
which children usually can't stand

******

An excellent liquid iron supplement is "Fera" by Auxima. Should be be able
to get this at any healthfood store. I don't know if it's CF or GF as I
don't use it.

******

The answer I have is use a iron skillet. Once you season it well,
cooking on it is easy. Iron does transfer over to the cooked items.
Through my three pregnancies I had very high iron counts and noticably
higher when using my skillet the day before testing. You don't have to
fry everything.

Pre heating the skillet is essential to making the skillet work well for
you. Pre heat, add oil or water, preheat that also then add food.
Pancakes come out well, crepes'. I put 1/2 inch of water and cook our
meatballs in the water, I cover with foil to help steam them up. When I
make tomato sauce, I'll saute' the pureed celery, onions, peppers and
spices ( I have picky kids, that's why I puree'), saute' with olive oil
and then I put in a big pot to cook slowly with the tomato's. I cook my
meats and then add the vege's and then pineapples and spices and cook
low and add tapioca flour to thicken the sauce. A lot of recipe's will
work, even just lightly saute' almonds to save for sprinkling on rice
dishes later is great. Using the iron skillet is much less complicated
than puting iron supplements in your body, I understand that taking iron
can mess up your bowels, constipation. Then you have to worry if it's
gluten free and/or other allergens. To season a iron skillet I put oil,
olive or safflower is what we cook with. Try cooking with seseame seed
oil, that's great. Well put enough in that there's a fingernail full.
Spread on insides sides and put on stovetop on low for a hour or in the
oven on low. For a day or so, put on burner after using it for something
else, or the oven when you've finish cook and turned the oven off.  Take
out oil and try cooking. The more you cook the more seasoned and better
it cooks. Remember to pre-heat the skillet and then pre-heat the oil or
water, liquid you are going to cook in.  When you use your skillet, use
hot hot hot water to clean and scrub. Try not to use soap often it takes
the seasoning off. Always put oil back in but rub in and wipe out
excess. We store our skillet in the oven, just because it keeps it
cleaner. I also wipe out before cooking.

******

I know that kids are put on liquid iron all the time (infants), so I know
that it exsists, but I don't know of any specifically for adults. I would
call and talk to a pharmacist

******

Liquid Iron....lots of options. I work with/counsel alot of pregnant
mom's wrt this very issue so I have lots of experience here. The easiest
route (and the priciest) is to go to the health food store and buy
Floradix Iron and Herbs. It's gluten free (though not all Floradix
products are). It tastes like juice, which makes it easy to take and
easy to remember to take. Comes with a little measuring cap - take 2 tsp
per day....take with 250 mgs of vit c to increase absorption. 2 tsp
provides 1/2 the RDA of iron per day. So you could take 4 tsp (ie 2 tsp
in am, 2 tsp in pm - or otherwise divided at convenient times) to get
the whole RDA. You need to use the entire bottle in 4 or 6 wks from
opening since it doesn't have any preservatives. This isn't tough as
long as you're taking it regularly.

******

The only one I can answer is the liquid iron. Geritol is liquid and I
multi-vitamin. Pediatric (infant) vitamins, available by prescription,
come in just iron. You'd probably need a lot, but what works, works.
Check with your MD

******

Another *fantastic* way to get your iron up, actually it's even faster
than Floradix, but not as tasty:)  Iron Tonic Syrup.....I've seen two
cases of really entrenched anemia - both of which I believe had celiac
as the root cause based on family history/health history - but
anyway.....really entrenched, serious anemia in both cases - totally
resolved - one w/in a *week*, on w/in two weeks.  It was phenominal.  I
have never seen this syrup take more than 2 weeks to bring iron levels
up to normal....those cases were just extreme because the moms hgb were
sooooo low.  The Iron Tonic Syrup is easy to make and very cost
effective.  You'll need to visit whatever health food store in your
area that carries bulk dried herbs.  Once there, you'll purchase:

1/2 oz yellow dock root (cut and sifted - not powdered)
1/2 oz dandelion root (cut and sifted - not powdered)
1 bottle blackstrap molasses (not regular molasses from the regular grocery)
1 pint jar (ie canning jar...unless you already have one at home)

Place herbs in pint jar. Fill to top with boiling water.

Lid tightly. Steep at least 8 hours - I let it steep overnight...easiest
for me. In the am, strain through strainer into saucepan. Simmer,
reducing liquid to 1 cup. Remove from heat.

Add 1/2 c blackstrap molasses, stir well.

Pour into jar, cool to room temp, label the jar, store in fridge. Take 1-2
tbsp daily, each dose with 250 mg vitamin C. If you're taking 2
tbsp..try to spread it out -ie 1 tbsp in the am....one later on. Make
sure to eat dairy foods at a different time than the iron
supplement/iron foods - regardless of wether you're using the syrup or
the floradix. Iron supps inhibit the absorption of calcium and vice
versa... Do *not* drink either straight from container....Do not keep at
room temperatureboth must be refrigerated. I just emphasize this b/c I
made a recipie of this up for a friend after she had her baby...she did
keep it at room temp and swig it straight out of the bottle...after a
couple wks she opened it and was greeted by totally foul odors. If you
keep the Syrup refrigerated it'll last for about 3 months....alot longer
than the Floradix. And at a much better price:)