From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 1996 12:28:02 EDT

Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]> said:

>....I met a Peace Corps couple (retired folks) whose daughter
>was diagnosed with celiac disease back in the 40's in NYC.  The doctor
>said he could cure her if she ate a diet completely void of carbohydrates
>for one full year.  .....<snip>
>after a year the daughter returned to a normal diet - now in her 50's she
>continues to eat everything and has had no recurrence.  ...<snip>
>
>You doubters may think it was an incorrect diagnosis.  Others may think
>she will eventually develop symptoms or worse, but almost 50 years is a
>long time of a regular diet with no complications.

The following reply is being posted with Joe Murray's permission:

 There have been a number of  attempts to put Celiacs in remission back
on a gluten containing diet. (also known as challenge). The length of time
to relapse varies enormously from weeks to years and may or may not be
associated with the same or even symptoms.  The diagnosis
of celiac disease in the 40's was more difficult than now in that no biopsies
were available to confirm the diagnosis and it is hard to know it there was
celiac disease in the first place. Many patients put back on the gluten do not
actually eat very much of it and may not have very bad symptoms but most if not
all will eventually develop the problem in the intestine eventually.

Not medical advice
Joe Murray
University of Iowa.